Hen “mating” with other hen for a LONG time. Will she be okay?

KathiQuacks

Crowing
May 7, 2022
Central TX
So, I have a drake (Cherry) and two hens (Caramel + Pitaya).

When Cherry mates with my hens, he’s very quick about it. My hens do tail up, he does tail down, and it’s done. I’ve never seen him take longer than 10 seconds to mate.

Occasionally, I’ll see Pitaya on top of Caramel trying to “mate” with her, too. Pitaya, generally, will take a bit longer to get on top and do her thing, around 20 - 30 seconds - I’m not concerned about this. I’ve recently noticed, however, that after getting on top, Caramel will do tail up, Pitaya does tail down.. and then they’ll do it again..

Tail up, tail down, tail up, tail down, tail up, tail down..

They will keep doing this for about 60 - 90 seconds, and nearly the entire time Caramel’s head is underwater. Will she be okay?? I’ve heard of drakes accidentally drowning hens, but could a hen drown another hen? Cherry never tries to join in during this, thankfully.

Also, is there a reason Pitaya is doing ‘tail down’ so much, instead of just once or twice? Thanks!

i have seen my all female duck flock hens do the same thing and i also wondered if they are going to drown they are underwater so long especially when there is more than one on top because sometimes they’ll stack up three high and even try for four or sometimes they’ll be a duck on the side, helping hold the other one’s head underwater . it’sa little scary but it’s been happening 8 years nobody got hurt or killed so, they’ll probably be fine, ducks are crazy

Back
Top Bottom