years of unfollowed post need removed

behrable

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
bakersfield
WHY ARE ALL THESE POST AND THREADS STILL ON THIS SITE ?
SOME OF THE HAVE NOT BEEN LOOKED AT SINCE 2008 .
cANT SOMETHING BE DONE TO GET RID OF ALL THIS USELESS INFO ... ?

Useless!?!?!?

th.gif

Thousands of people are reading, learning from, and using information posted back to 2007. Just because someone hasn't replied to it doesn't make it useless. In fact, it could be argued that some stuff is such perfect information, no other discussion is needed.

We will not be deleting old content and old members from the site. Both of these are valuable.

All of those old posts are not full of useless info. I search things all the time and find what i need in old posts. They are a great cache of information.

~Nathan

I use those 'useless old posts' all the time as research. Just because its a few years old doesn't make it worthless. THIS post however.. I see no point in it at all.

btw.. THIS MEANS YOUR SHOUTING AND IT IS CONSIDERED TO BE VERY RUDE... so please loose the caps.

Last edited:
Good question. Short answer is "no".

We don't close or delete any posts. Not only is there no automated way to do this, but we believe that any pros of deleting or locking them are outweighed by the cons.

Single unanswered posts / threads don't really take up much space. In fact, I bet the megabytes of data uploaded in the form of photos to BYC in a single day are many times larger than all the unanswered posts / threads ever created.

Here's another reason why we don't do it. Imagine if back in 2008 someone posted a question about a sick chicken. They provided a ton of detailed information, symptoms, etc. Unfortunately nobody at the time knew the answer. Perhaps it was something so odd that nobody had ever heard / seen it before. Maybe 4 years later someone is searching the internet and that member's post is discovered and someone joins BYC then with their first post they say, "We have a chicken with this exact same problem! Here is what we've done and learned...." Perhaps the original poster from 4 years ago found the answer but never posted it on BYC. They might be subscribed to the post and get a notification that someone replied, then come back and update their 4 year old post with details on the problem and how to solve it.

In my opinion, holding onto thousands of unanswered topics is worth just a single case like the above. :)

Same reason for not doing away with BYC users that signed up, never post or "dropped" from the face of earth or non existant. We have thousands of members signed up but almost never heard of or posted.

OK, lurkers, come out of your hiding and sign up!
wink.png

I agree with you Razor, some of the old time breeders or wealth of information worth looking into! And as for some, memories.

Purging the files and membership lists may not be a bad idea but I am guessing it would be too much time sorting thru all those threads, which one will stay and which one will get the ax. I think Nifty did mention why they would not do it a while back....maybe some one can refresh our memories why they would not do it.

Some of the best information for problems I've had come from Ancient Threads. Just because they aren't active doesn't mean they aren't equally as useful as today's threads.

Back
Top Bottom