yeast for chicken feed

Lott1

Chirping
10 Years
Oct 23, 2012
I'm new at this but was wondering if yeast if ok to feed chickens? Also I have some old cans of wheat. Is that ok to feed them?

Hi,
I don't know anything about the yeast, but I would not give them any old can of wheat. That does not sound healthy to me.
But then what do I know, I'm new

Are you talking about baking yeast or nutritional yeast? Nutritional yeast would be fine & good for them. Baking yeast not a good idea. As to the wheat if it's whole wheat & not spoiled it's good chicken food. I feed whole wheat every day.

The wheat will be fine if not moldy or spoiled. I have fed old wheat before (given to me), and just mixed it in with my newer wheat. If it has been damp though, toss it!

Don't know about the yeast. I have fed leftover nutritional yeast to chickens without problems but never red star yeast.

I think the yeast is the baking yeast. What is the difference? Also the wheat is an unopened can so it should be fine. Should I mix it in with other feed?

Nutritional yeast, or Brewer’s yeast, is inactivated (has no more fermenting power). Baker's yeast is active yeast, so it is able to ferment (generating gas for leavening bread, etc.). Brewer’s yeast is a very nutritionally dense ingredient: rich in many critical amino acids, B Vitamins, trace minerals (that are naturally organically bound which increase bioavailability), Hops reside which is bacteriostatic against many pathogens, and also have two very important fibers that are immune system modulators, prebiotics, bind pathogens to help them clear out of the GI tract in the feces instead of colonizing in the GI tract, and increases biofilm in the GI tract which also helps prevent pathogen colonization on the GI wall. There is also Yeast Cell Wall powder from Brewer’s yeast which has slightly lower protein levels but higher content of the fibers and Hops residue which promotes growth, reduces mortality, improves immunological status (verified through blood studies) and increases Feed Conversion Efficiency. This is a wholly natural ingredient that is approved for use in feed and Organic production, and is effective as a growth promotant (and is used in Organic applications, or in countries where antibiotics are not allowed in feed to improve growth. I have some papers on this if anyone is interested, we are developing a website to market a Yeast Cell Wall product, I will be putting more details on teh Buy Sell Trade forum once we are up and running.

Last edited:
Nutritional yeast, or Brewer’s yeast, is inactivated (has no more fermenting power). Baker's yeast is active yeast, so it is able to ferment (generating gas for leavening bread, etc.). Brewer’s yeast is a very nutritionally dense ingredient: rich in many critical amino acids, B Vitamins, trace minerals (that are naturally organically bound which increase bioavailability), Hops reside which is bacteriostatic against many pathogens, and also have two very important fibers that are immune system modulators, prebiotics, bind pathogens to help them clear out of the GI tract in the feces instead of colonizing in the GI tract, and increases biofilm in the GI tract which also helps prevent pathogen colonization on the GI wall. There is also Yeast Cell Wall powder from Brewer’s yeast which has slightly lower protein levels but higher content of the fibers and Hops residue which promotes growth, reduces mortality, improves immunological status (verified through blood studies) and increases Feed Conversion Efficiency. This is a wholly natural ingredient that is approved for use in feed and Organic production, and is effective as a growth promotant (and is used in Organic applications, or in countries where antibiotics are not allowed in feed to improve growth. I have some papers on this if anyone is interested, we are developing a website to market a Yeast Cell Wall product, I will be putting more details on teh Buy Sell Trade forum once we are up and running.
does thid appky to nutritiobak ywast also?

Back
Top Bottom