Yellow diarrhea and odd acting *pics*

Fluids are more important than eating. If she does want food, you can add water to the feed in a small bowl, or to any egg or treats. Most chickens need 15 ml per pound up to 3-4 times a day. It is safer to hold a small cup or scoop up to the beak, and let them drink on their own. You can dip the beak into the water for a second to give them the idea. If she won’t drink, you can carefully syringe water into her beak a few drops at a time, letting her swallow. Tube or crop feeding is also a possibility, but that should not be necessary until she keeps refusing. It is usually done 2-3 times a day.

Yeah we have put her beak in the water multiple times and she’s not showing much interest in drinking or eating so I will probably try the syringe when I get home.

Any benefit to an Epson salt bath? Any harm in antibiotics?

I don’t recommend soaking a sick hen if they are very weak, since it can push them over the edge. But if she seems okay, you could soak her. Antibiotics such as amoxicillin (Aqua Mox found online, might help if she has an early reproductive infection.

I have seen things like the aqua mox at Walmart or tsc, any idea doses? I’ll save the soak for a later date. I’d like to think I caught this very early but all signs are pointing to downhill quickly. She makes some noises and moves around a bit when I lift the lid to the cage. She’s pretty docile in my hands although she tried to flutter away once. Otherwise she sits in an area of the kennel for a couple hours then moves to another side and stays there a couple hours. Repeats that all day. Gonna try to scramble an egg for her in a few

update

She’s not eating or drinking. I made her an egg and some yogurt and she pecked at it but ate none of it.

Oddly enough she seems to have slightly more energy, I say that as she’s still completely different, part of me wonders if she’s getting better or if this her bodies surge before Falling off the cliff.

I gave her 10mls via a syringe and left her with some crumble/water mash. Tomorrow if she’s still not eating or drinking I will give her a lot more fluids. Today was just a test as it was my first time.

Couple thoughts- any chance this is coccidiosis even being vaccinated against it 8 months ago?

We were gonna grab some corrid just to throw stuff at the wall to see what might stick.

The poop today seems a little more green instead of yellow, same consistency/ordeal

Green poop is usually a sign of not eating enough. It is hard to know if it could be coccidiosis or not without a fecal float to look for it. Let us know how she is doing tomorrow.

She hasn’t eaten or drank much of anything in 2 days going on 3. She doesn’t seem like she’s in any outward discomfort. Part of me thinks just let whatever’s happening happen naturally and the nurse in me wants to tube the bird and feed/hydrate her. Poops are def green but she did have kinda a weird one this morning that resembled something more normal with a white blob but I’m assuming it’s digested calcium pills or remnants of. Idk. In general her comb is still nice and red but it’s shrank significantly in size and is just floppy wrinkled over on itsself which just looks like dehydration of tissue to me.

My two thoughts being weighed right now are to treat empirically for coccidiosis with corid as a last chance or just try to keep her comfortable and let nature do it’s thing

Attachments

• E1FE9560-BF88-4587-9CE1-D02264EC78FF.jpeg
    E1FE9560-BF88-4587-9CE1-D02264EC78FF.jpeg
    838 KB · Views: 8
  • 1DD5ACA1-526D-4802-8319-AD4E1AFC7A46.jpeg
    1DD5ACA1-526D-4802-8319-AD4E1AFC7A46.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 8
Since you are a nurse, tube feeding might be something you would want to try. Red rubber catheters 16-18 french and catheter tip syringes can be found online, and you could probably buy a set from a vet. Baby goat tube feeding sets are also available. For a quick tube feeding set, use oxygen or aquarium air tubing, about a 12 to 15 inch length. Those will connect to a regular tip 35 ml syringe from the feed store. Insert it into the right back of the chicken’s throat and push it down into the crop. This picture shows where to insert the tube:
https://i0.wp.com/www.smithersites.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/dosing_1_-609x588-300x290.jpg?resize=300,290

This thread has a lot of info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

Ok perhaps if she’s still chugging along when I get home I’ll drop a tube and see how it goes. Can I feed her also? I know hydration is far more important but at this point her energy has to be low as well. If I am going to tank her up how much fluid and how much mash?

How long can the tube stay in? I assume this something that needs to come out as soon as the feed is done?

Safe to slow bolus like the syringe feed or should I gravity feed

Sorry if your links have all this listed im checking this in between breaks at work. I’m comfortable with the instillation of the tube just curious of the quantity and rate at which to resuscitate. Tia! @Eggcessive

Last edited:
Another update since I’ve had time to go back and look at the camera. Blackie (yeah she’s a brown bird… my 3 year old named her) finally took a drink!

Attachments

• 500A3ECA-6E11-4D00-822B-61DA0A103FFD.png
    500A3ECA-6E11-4D00-822B-61DA0A103FFD.png
    875 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom