Yellow egg yolk

granola friend

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
dallas
I am wondering why my hens are laying eggs with a light yellow yolk
sad.png

I feed them 16% egg layers food also give them a lot of treats like rice, corn, grits, oatmeal, egg shell, but i really dont now why that color.
It is not a rich orange color is like pale.

Does someone knows why this is happening?

They are like 5 1/2 months old and 2 of them are laying double yolk everyday and the other 2 are just laying normal one because they only have 3 weeks of laying

Thanks;)

i give them lettuce and celery

also i let them free range for like 30 min everyday

maybe i should live them outside for longer

thanks;)
big_smile.png
smile.png

Quote:
Lettuce and celery are light colored greens. Look for the darker greens to treat them with or try to give them more time free ranging.

Mine love spinach, kale, dark leafy weeds and have rich bright yellow yolks...perhaps there is a connection. They actually prefer spinach to lettuce when offered side by side, every time!

Spinach, great idea i have some plant in my garden
but tomorrow i will get some from the store.

Also today i tried to let them be outside but they did not want it to stay longer like 15 min the most. then they went back to the running pen
sad.png

smile.png

Quote:
They'll get used to the great outdoors the more they are out. Chickens are chicken of new things and experiences, pun intended.

When I let mine out in the big yard I have to close the run because they ended up right back in there. So when I want them out of the run and in the yard I just shut the gate to the run and they are perfectly happy running around the yard until it is time to go back in the run then they don't want in the run...crazy birds don't want to leave the run then don't want to go back in.... reminds me of men LOL
barnie.gif
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom