Yellow fluid under wings. What disease is this?

It would be helpful to know your state or country to help us advise you on feeds available. Do you have a commercial chicken feed available for sale? Or do you have to mix grains, seeds, and other nutrients to feed? What are others using for chickens where you live?

I guess you missed this reply from the OP....
Thanks. I'm in New York state.

I agree with the others that diet is almost certainly the problem and needs addressing asap. You would probably be best looking for a pelleted feed and as others have suggested an all flock, flock raiser or grower or even unmedicated chick crumbs with at least 20% protein to try to correct some of the damage that their current diet is likely to have had on their growth and supply crushed oyster shells in a separate dish. Be prepared for them to dislike the new food and you may have to introduce it slowly. Soaking a day's ration of pellets/crumbles in warm water and feeding it to them in a pan with a little corn sprinkled on the top to encourage them to eat it may help, but you want to phase the corn out altogether as soon as possible in my opinion.
Giving them a good quality poultry vitamin supplement like Nutri Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell in their water for a week or two would also be a good idea.
Do you have any males in the flock (a cockerel or rooster)? That area under the wings is a common place for them to cause damage during mating and the high fat level under the skin due to their diet might weep yellow oily fat when grazed.
Very good post. I totally agree . They need to be put on poultry feed immediately.

They should be laying by now - have you tried the commercial layer feed and adding free feed calcium? If not that is what I would do!
These birds are not laying yet because they have been on a diet which has not provided them with the nutrients they need to develop properly and may even have underlying health problems as a result. That dietary imbalance needs to be addressed by providing more of the things that they have lacked until now which is protein and essential amino acids and vitamins. A layer feed usually only has a basic level of protein at 16% and in my opinion these youngsters need a protein boost to help them catch up.

I missed the post about living in NY. I would also recommend some poultry vitamins, since vitamin deficiencies can affect skin, feathers, and the ability to stand and walk. Poultry Booster by Rooster Booster ($10 at Tractor Supply) is one with vitamins and minerals that is added to feed, and you can mix a few drops of vegetable oil to get it to stick to the feed better.
upload_2018-12-23_8-52-32.jpeg

@FrostWhiteChickens

It really does help if you can include basic information on your profile page regarding your location, so that we can see that info each time you post on the forum, as you can see with mine at the left of this post under my profile. Location is relevant to many aspects of poultry keeping and this is an international forum, so there are members from Indonesia to Alaska and most places in between. t doesn't have to be enough to identify you, just a country and state. It isn't compulsory but it makes helping you so much easier for us.
Cheers
Barbara

@FrostWhiteChickens

It really does help if you can include basic information on your profile page regarding your location, so that we can see that info each time you post on the forum, as you can see with mine at the left of this post under my profile. Location is relevant to many aspects of poultry keeping and this is an international forum, so there are members from Indonesia to Alaska and most places in between. t doesn't have to be enough to identify you, just a country and state. It isn't compulsory but it makes helping you so much easier for us.
Cheers
Barbara
Thanks for the reminder. I never know this is relevant. :)

Hello guys, sorry for my late reply but I read all your replies. Thank you so much for the help! Now I understand that I need to supply my chickens with extra nutrients and I'll see what I can get from Tractor supply. Can anyone give me an idea what are the nutrients chickens need to have in order to maintain their health?

Hello guys, sorry for my late reply but I read all your replies. Thank you so much for the help! Now I understand that I need to supply my chickens with extra nutrients and I'll see what I can get from Tractor supply. Can anyone give me an idea what are the nutrients chickens need to have in order to maintain their health?

There is a tractor supply in hudson ny about 30 min away from hudson valley ny.

go there and ask the employees where the chicken stuff is.
get a bag of all flock feed. all flock feed has more protein but doesn't have all the calcium
to provide calcium buy " oyster shells" put this in a separate dish the chickens will eat as needed free of choice.
then pick yourself up some "poultry booster" as pictured above in @Eggcessive post
i would also recommend you get your chickens some grit as well which should be offered in a separate dish free choice not mixed into the food.

all 4 of these are at tractor supply in the same aisle.

shopping list ( ask employee to point these out for you if your having trouble)
1) all flock feed (20% protein) it will say it on the bag
2) oyster shell
3) poultry booster
4) grit pullet sized( i believe its called " chick grit" at tractor supply)

as others mentioned your chickens might be stand offish to the food at first so you may need to put sprinkle of corn on the top to get them to eat it. after a day or 2 they should eat the regular feed without the need of the corn.

once you got them on those stop giving your chickens treats or anything. this will give you a nutrious balance id use the poultry booster till its gone then just keep providing feed oyster shell and grit all in separate dishes.

id say your chickens need some serious nutrient help and there may be some very serious health issues down the line with these chickens as these chickens have basically been nutrient starved for a long while tbh if thats what you were feeding them idk how they made it this long.

i hope your chickies get better.

If you feed a nutritionally balanced poultry feed, you should not need much of anything else.
I would do as suggested and give them poultry vitamins at least once a week to get them back in shape.
It would be best to give them feed only for a while, but they may get a bit bored. Mine love fresh veggies, so a little kale, cabbage, broccoli or similar would be o.k.
Give these in moderation, you want their main source of food/nutrients to come from the feed.

I agree with @FnWeirdo to also provide a source of grit.

You can use something like Flock Raiser that has 20% protein. I would aim for 18-20% Protein. Look at the feed tag on the bag, that gives you the nutritional analysis. Feed free choice.

Grit is always a good idea, chickens need grit in order to process food. Just place it in a separate dish or you can scatter it in the run, they will pick up what they need.
51ZrGQPhKfL._SY450_.jpg

Oyster shell is used to supplement calcium. Put it in a separate dish, they will take what they need.
b6f87ae0-38a8-45f7-b861-c1e36c895aa0_1.abe1bfd3f52da1152068c7eb5a2deb4e.jpeg

You can find poultry vitamins at the feed store or online. Here's an example of a couple that would be good to use.

Rooster-Booster-Poultry-Booster-Mineral-and-Vitamin-Pellets.jpg
41PuTM7vF0L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom