Yellow Jackets

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tash, May 23, 2017.

1. tash

tash Songster

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    We have yellow jackets (IDed by my 11yo, I am mildly allergic and haven't been near yet) in the run. We did have a tarp on it for winter so the yellow jackets were happy and we didn't see them, but my 11yo took the tarp off today and noticed the nest. I don't want to spray poison, or burn them, what can I do?

2. Colonel-Sanders

Colonel-Sanders In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2017
    Ohio
    I'm not sure if this applies to all bees/wasps but spraying soapy water on them kills them quick ( I did this with mud wasps) . Another way would be to at night, knock the nest off into a bag quickly (I've done that before) or simply a vacuum, but if you choose the vacuum tape up the ends of it for a few days so they die (I don't like the vacuum method)

JRNash, penny1960 and tash like this.
  3. JRNash

JRNash Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Soapy water should do it. Be careful. Allergies can intensify, it'd be a good idea for someone else to be around when you wage war. A pot of boiling water would also work. I'm also allergic.

tash likes this.
  4. tash

tash Songster

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    I was thinking about knocking it off, IDK if I can get it into a bag. But I should have thought of the soap thing, I used to do that successfully with aphids. I did try on some yellow jackets a while back but I think it didn't work because I couldn't get to the nest (it was under our cement stairs). The hens are not gonna be happy either. Might have to move them out for a few hours.

JRNash likes this.
  5. JRNash

JRNash Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I keep a couple of cans of 3M spray adhesive on hand. It glues them to the nest and catches stragglers

tash likes this.
  6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Crowing

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Edit- I didn't even read what the previous link I'd posted was using using. Wine is not nearly as effective as other baits. Soda, sugar water, etc. in a trap made from cutting a plastic soda bottle and inverting the top. Here's a better look at it in a bee yard:

Having one near that nest will nearly wipe it out in a few days so it's manageable for you to get rid of the nest.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Jessydds, tash and JRNash like this.
  7. JRNash

JRNash Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I sprayed soapy water on my apple tree for aphids. Made all the leaves fall off:th

8. tash

tash Songster

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    Thanks. I think I am lucky with the allergies, I got on singulair a year ago for my asthma and got stung once since then (a single bumble bee) and had basically no reaction. Like a normal person reaction instead of swelling up so bad I couldn't wear socks (it was on my foot). :)

That is really smart. I think I will try the water first since I have it, but if it doesn't do it Ill go get some 3M.

9. JRNash

JRNash Crowing

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    If I get stung a massive dose of benydryl stops the throat swelling(so far) but I'm off my feet for a couple days.

10. tash

tash Songster

Jun 5, 2009
    ohio
    yes. I learned how to swallow pills as a kid because I got stung by a wasp and pill benydryl was the only thing available. Good stuff.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    JRNash likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: