tash

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
ohio
We have yellow jackets (IDed by my 11yo, I am mildly allergic and haven't been near yet) in the run. We did have a tarp on it for winter so the yellow jackets were happy and we didn't see them, but my 11yo took the tarp off today and noticed the nest. I don't want to spray poison, or burn them, what can I do?

Colonel-Sanders

Chirping
Feb 24, 2017
Ohio
We have yellow jackets (IDed by my 11yo, I am mildly allergic and haven't been near yet) in the run. We did have a tarp on it for winter so the yellow jackets were happy and we didn't see them, but my 11yo took the tarp off today and noticed the nest. I don't want to spray poison, or burn them, what can I do?
I'm not sure if this applies to all bees/wasps but spraying soapy water on them kills them quick ( I did this with mud wasps) . Another way would be to at night, knock the nest off into a bag quickly (I've done that before) or simply a vacuum, but if you choose the vacuum tape up the ends of it for a few days so they die (I don't like the vacuum method)

JRNash

Crowing
May 16, 2015
Mauriceville,Texas
Soapy water should do it. Be careful. Allergies can intensify, it'd be a good idea for someone else to be around when you wage war. A pot of boiling water would also work. I'm also allergic.

tash

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
ohio
I was thinking about knocking it off, IDK if I can get it into a bag. But I should have thought of the soap thing, I used to do that successfully with aphids. I did try on some yellow jackets a while back but I think it didn't work because I couldn't get to the nest (it was under our cement stairs). The hens are not gonna be happy either. Might have to move them out for a few hours.

Egghead_Jr

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
Edit- I didn't even read what the previous link I'd posted was using using. Wine is not nearly as effective as other baits. Soda, sugar water, etc. in a trap made from cutting a plastic soda bottle and inverting the top. Here's a better look at it in a bee yard:

Having one near that nest will nearly wipe it out in a few days so it's manageable for you to get rid of the nest.

Last edited:

tash

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
ohio
Soapy water should do it. Be careful. Allergies can intensify, it'd be a good idea for someone else to be around when you wage war. A pot of boiling water would also work. I'm also allergic.
Thanks. I think I am lucky with the allergies, I got on singulair a year ago for my asthma and got stung once since then (a single bumble bee) and had basically no reaction. Like a normal person reaction instead of swelling up so bad I couldn't wear socks (it was on my foot). :)

I keep a couple of cans of 3M spray adhesive on hand. It glues them to the nest and catches stragglers
That is really smart. I think I will try the water first since I have it, but if it doesn't do it Ill go get some 3M.

tash

Songster
10 Years
Jun 5, 2009
ohio
If I get stung a massive dose of benydryl stops the throat swelling(so far) but I'm off my feet for a couple days.
yes. I learned how to swallow pills as a kid because I got stung by a wasp and pill benydryl was the only thing available. Good stuff.

Last edited:

Top Bottom