HELP!! monster hornets nest on run. best way to get rid of it?

Chickenric

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
New Hampshire
We found a huge hornets nest on the back side of our run. This is on the backside of the run so unfortunately we never noticed it. We are trying to move some chicks to our "henitentary" (small segregated coop and run, within the bigger run) but we cant get them out of the basement until the hornets nest is gone (im allergic, and i worry the hornets could kill the chicks if they swarmed). We have called around to some exterminators but we are in a very rural area that none of them will service. Obviously we cant use poison, so the only idea i've had is to blast it with the pressure washer at night when the hornets are lame and the flock is in the coop, but obviously this comes with great risk to myself, and less likely but possibly to the flock.

we have also noticed the hornets seem to be getting angrier. They got pretty angry when we went in the coop to collect the eggs today, so the situation is becoming a bit more dire.

If anyone has any other ideas i would love to hear them. We are starting to get a little desperate for help.

Attachments

• IMG_2185.jpg
    IMG_2185.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 53
I’d get a giant bottle of Raid and spray it on them at night. It would be best if you had someone else do it, at less risk to yourself.

Contact your Ag Extension Service. They likely either have suggestions or can put you in contact with someone who can help. A local tree service may be able to help, as well. be sure to explain to them that you are allergic. Good Luck!

I have used the peppermint oil method. Put a few drops of peppermint oil (not fragrance, real peppermint oil) into a small spray bottle of water. Shake well. When the sun goes down spray the nest. You don't have to douse it. Repeat the next evening. When the queen leaves, the others will follow. A few will stay to guard the hornets who can't leave yet.

There should be enough residual spray that it will keep any other hornets from wanting to be near your coop.

Try to I.D. what kind of hornet/wasp nest it is before you take any action. If it's a Bald faced hornet nest you should enlist some outside help. They are very aggressive and keep coming and hurt.
Over 30 yrs in construction I've had to jump of roofs to get away from them. They're mean.

Screenshot_20230819-220435.png

This is a Bald faced hornets nest I had in my backyard a couple years ago, luckily it was not near the coop so I just waited for fall when they died off. I have it hanging in my garage now since no others will make it their home.
20210719_175015.jpg

I waited until AFTER DARK and lit a smokey candle under the entrance hole of a hornets nest in my back yard a couple weeks ago. It suffocated the hornets so quickly they couldn't escape or fly out much less sting me.I almost felt sorry for them but after one stung me earlier that day that nest had to go

Attachments

• 20230719_231933.jpg
    20230719_231933.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230719_231950.jpg
    20230719_231950.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 5
We found a huge hornets nest on the back side of our run. This is on the backside of the run so unfortunately we never noticed it. We are trying to move some chicks to our "henitentary" (small segregated coop and run, within the bigger run) but we cant get them out of the basement until the hornets nest is gone (im allergic, and i worry the hornets could kill the chicks if they swarmed). We have called around to some exterminators but we are in a very rural area that none of them will service. Obviously we cant use poison, so the only idea i've had is to blast it with the pressure washer at night when the hornets are lame and the flock is in the coop, but obviously this comes with great risk to myself, and less likely but possibly to the flock.

we have also noticed the hornets seem to be getting angrier. They got pretty angry when we went in the coop to collect the eggs today, so the situation is becoming a bit more dire.

If anyone has any other ideas i would love to hear them. We are starting to get a little desperate for help.
If you know any beekeeper (honeybees) they'll know how to smoke them out and move it.

Back
Top Bottom