Yellow mucus like poop, not acting like herself. HELP.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LadeeDeVo, Sep 25, 2013.

1. LadeeDeVo

LadeeDeVo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Someone please help.

i woke up this morning to one of my hens just kind of sitting there. She didn't move or anything. I reached in and picked her up (Something they NEVER let me do) and held her for a while and rubbed her head until she looked like she was getting tired.

Her poop almost looks like yellow boogers, I picked up a piece of hay that it dropped on and it was really slimy and a kind of milky yellow color.

I'm in Oregon's valley and it just started getting really rainy here, could have to do with the weather?

I have to leave for work soon and I'm really worried she won't make it through the day!

We've moved her inside to her own box with food and water to keep her warm and make it a little less stressful if the other girls aren't running around on her.

HELP[​IMG]

2. silkies mama

silkies mama Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    could she possibly have coccidia?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens have cecal poops that look yellow brown and runny about every 10th time. Those poops can also be a sign of worms. Since she is acting lethargic and you're having wet conditions, I would also consider coccidiosis. Older chickens can get it if they are exposed to a new strain they aren't immune to. Treatment is Corid liquid 2 tsp (or powder 1 tsp) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. While she is sick, check around and under her vent for lice and mites, and feel her belly for a stuck egg (egg bound.) Worming with Valbazen or Safegard Liquid 1/2 ml if she hasn't been wormed lately might help.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  4. LadeeDeVo

Jul 17, 2013
    Oregon
    It sounds exactly like coccidiosis!

Is it safe to worm them and treat them for coccidiosis at the same time?

I can't separate all seven girls simply because I don't have room.

Suggestions?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you suspect cocci might be the problem I'd treat first for that then deworm them after that treatment.

6. LadeeDeVo

Jul 17, 2013
    Oregon
    I'm afraid that treating her tonight might be too late if she is already acting puffy and lethargic.

How do I know she is fighting it off okay?

7. LadeeDeVo

Jul 17, 2013
    Oregon
    Also if she isn't eating or drinking how do I get her to take in the medicine???

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes you have to feed the liquid meds with a dropper or wet the feed with it. Tube feeding is done by some here on BYC. There are threads on instructing how. Giving a bit of milk or buttermilk mixed with cornmeal or chick feed will help to coat the stomach until meds are started. If she is not eating or drinking it may be too late.

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    With corid, dip the beak into the water. Do this several times a day or even hourly. If she has Coci, she will start drinking on her own quickly.

Best!

1 person likes this.
  10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have liquid or powdered Corid?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by