Yellow Rouen duckling?

erinlee

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
Baldwin MI
i had three Rouen ducks (2 females and one male) up until about a month ago, when unfortunately one of the girls was killed by a bobcat The day she was killed, I took 4 of their eggs and placed them under a broody chicken just to see what would happen, I thought at least there might be a chance that one of the killed ducks eggs might hatch. These are the only ducks I have.

Much to my surprise, yesterday I found three newly hatched ducklings happily being cared for by momma hen. So far she doesn't seem to be aware or concerned that her chicks look a little "different" lol

The odd thing is, 2 of the ducklings are the typical brown coloring with dark bills typical of Rouen ducklings. One of them, however, is solid yellow with a yellow bill. Is it possible to have a yellow colored Rouen duckling?

Not the best picture in the world, I'll try to get better pics tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_4480.JPG
    IMG_4480.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 36
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4484.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG

The adult ducks were given to me by a coworker and I was told they were Rouen; they sure do look like Rouens to me. Here is a pic of the trio before the one girl was killed.

The yellow ducklings eyes are black. I managed to get better pics today.

Attachments

• IMG_4492.JPG
    IMG_4492.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 27
Your rouens were probably not 100% pure, and carried a recessive "white" gene. Good chance they have some pekin in their background.

Back
Top Bottom