1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yellow runny poop... ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpotJL, Dec 12, 2013.

1. SpotJL

SpotJL Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    At least one of our chickens poop looks very unhealthy
    Yellow with some green? (See Photos) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and runny. We have four hens
    about 1 1/2 years old. They are now molting their comb look
    pale. They are all active, we are in Southern California

2. Ramblin Rooster

Ramblin Rooster Hatchaholic

Apr 14, 2012
    Fairfield, Connecticut
    How often are you seeing this? Could be a one time thing, and just diarrhea or upset stomach... check this out to read more http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

3. SpotJL

SpotJL Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Just the last couple of days I think.

4. Zimparellis

Zimparellis Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Santa Monica CA
    By the way, Their feed got switched recently from layer pellets to regular all purpose mash.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That poop is a bad sign.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Could be blackhead.

-Kathy

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend giving your birds scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk for about 3 or 4 days, then add feed to the mixture as a mash for a few more days. Then wean them off the scrambled egg/buttermilk mixture.

8. Zimparellis

Zimparellis Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2012
    Santa Monica CA
    The problem is, I know that chart very well and our poop isn't on it.

She only pooped yellow on her perch last night. Now with a spot of blood.

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The girl that is pooping this is not eating properly,try and locate her asap. Dark green indicates not eating. Could be so many different issues,b/c you mentioned there was a small amount of blood,have you considered Coccidiosis? Blood does not show in all species of cocci,but does in i believe two,yes older birds can have an overload/outbreak of Coccidiosis. Some symptoms are: runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 11 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly.weight loss,general look of unwell. Chickens will appear healthy even when very ill,this is a survival tactic,so you have to search her out. Check for impacted crop also.

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Can you take her to a vet? If not, what are you willing/able to do for her? Yellow is often a sign that the liver is involved and I'd be willing to bet that she's lost weight and not eating properly.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by