Yellow runny poop... ?

We are home now with dewormer and metronidazole. A rectal exam revealed a very small cyst. She took blood work and fecal sample and we will get results tomorrow. I mentioned blackhead, she knew about it, didn't object. The vet showed me how to tube feed for the meds but she has a healthy appetite for food so I'm gonna try to soak it in bread and hand feed her away from her sisters. Vet agreed. Crossing our fingers and giving you all a GIANT thanks for encouraging us (me and my boyfriend SpotJL) to take it this seriously. I'll let you know what we hear.

Thank you for updating! Oh my goodness, a lot of hens have reproductive problems besides getting worms.

What does the vet do for the small cyst?

Metronidazole is for damaged liver?

I hope you and your boyfriend and the poor chicken can get some good sleep tonight.

We are home now with dewormer and metronidazole. A rectal exam revealed a very small cyst. She took blood work and fecal sample and we will get results tomorrow. I mentioned blackhead, she knew about it, didn't object. The vet showed me how to tube feed for the meds but she has a healthy appetite for food so I'm gonna try to soak it in bread and hand feed her away from her sisters. Vet agreed. Crossing our fingers and giving you all a GIANT thanks for encouraging us (me and my boyfriend SpotJL) to take it this seriously. I'll let you know what we hear.

Your hen is so lucky to have you, most chickens aren't lucky enough to make a trip to a vet.

Thank you for updating! Oh my goodness, a lot of hens have reproductive problems besides getting worms.

What does the vet do for the small cyst?

Metronidazole is for damaged liver?

I hope you and your boyfriend and the poor chicken can get some good sleep tonight.

Metronidazole is for the protozoa that causes blackhead, the wormer is for the worm that carries the protozoa. If it is blackhead and there is no secondary infection, those two medicines should do the job.

-Kathy

We gave her a second dose this morning, she is eating from my hand but she is not doing well. Still slumpy and she doesn't move much. Hard to administer so I hope we got it all in her. I'm checking here often so thanks for the feedback! I'll let you know what the lab results are. By the way, I have a video of how to tube feed a chicken! I faint at the end of it. Just kidding about fainting.

How much metronidazole your vet recommend? I only ask because the first vet I saw prescribed way too little and my turkey died. You bottle should say something like "metronidazole 50mg/ml" and the amount you're supposed to give.

-Kathy

Just had another thought... Can you call your vet back today and ask about the secondary infections like e. Coli that often go hand-in-hand with blackhead and see if you should also give something like Clavamox or Baytril?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom