Yellow runny poop... ?

Thank you for updating! Oh my goodness, a lot of hens have reproductive problems besides getting worms.

What does the vet do for the small cyst?

Metronidazole is for damaged liver?

I hope you and your boyfriend and the poor chicken can get some good sleep tonight.

Metronidazole is for the protozoa that causes blackhead, the wormer is for the worm that carries the protozoa. If it is blackhead and there is no secondary infection, those two medicines should do the job.

Oh... Thanks! When I looked up for the medicine, there are many symptoms for that..
Is this blackhead very dangerous like internal layer or egg yolk penitoritis? Very interesting to read your threads.

I guess I should have been more clear in my previous post... The first vet that prescribed metronidazole prescribed it at just 5mg/kg once a day for five days, which is way less than the 30mg/kg that the AAAP Avian Disease Manual recommends, that turkey died. The next vet I saw prescribed it at 30mg/kg and I used that amount successfully many times, but lately I've been giving about twice that (~60mg/kg).

Metronidazole doses for blackhead vary... Some books say 30mg/kg, some say 25mg/kg twice a day, some vets say 60mg/kg once a day, others 60mg/kg twice a day and some people on BYC say to give 250mg to and an average sized chicken. I've done all of the above at one time or another. One thing that all of the above doses have in common is that they are *always* given for five days.

1kg = 2.2 pounds

-Kathy

Last edited:
Okay are you guys ready for the good news? Her liver and kidney functions are okay. But her red blood cell count is "very low", ie anemic, "probably from internal parasites" but fecal sample showed no additional parasites. She wants us to stay on her therapy and have her blood count retested in a week. Jen is looking just a bit perkier this afternoon after very groggy morning. I think her head his a wee bit higher than yesterday and she's preening a bit more. She is eating and drinking in her own. :) :) :) I'll update tomorrow. Thanks again, peeps!

Lisa

Okay are you guys ready for the good news? Her liver and kidney functions are okay. But her red blood cell count is "very low", ie anemic, "probably from internal parasites" but fecal sample showed no additional parasites. She wants us to stay on her therapy and have her blood count retested in a week. Jen is looking just a bit perkier this afternoon after very groggy morning. I think her head his a wee bit higher than yesterday and she's preening a bit more. She is eating and drinking in her own.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
I'll update tomorrow. Thanks again, peeps!

Lisa
Good news. Just about any external or internal parasite can cause anemia. I bet that vet gave her a B12 shot. Lack of nutrients in diet can cause anemia too. The red blood cell exists for about 35 days. Then it is replaced when it can no longer carry oxygen. The worn out cells are then transported to the spleen where the iron is salvaged from the old cells. That iron is then moved to the bone marrow. In the bone marrow, iron, B-12, protein, are put together to form a new red blood cell. It's a continuous rebuilding process for the body to maintain the proper amount of red blood cells. Nature doesn't work perfectly so some iron doesn't make it to the spleen and is passed in droppings. Diet makes up for what is lost, which is why we also supplement them.

I treat birds for coccidiosis until about 9 months of age and routinely give vitamin-mineral and probiotic supplements in the water. I hope your hen gets back in top shape.

I guess I should have been more clear in my previous post... The first vet that prescribed metronidazole prescribed it at just 5mg/kg once a day for five days, which is way less than the 30mg/kg that the AAAP Avian Disease Manual recommends, that turkey died. The next vet I saw prescribed it at 30mg/kg and I used that amount successfully many times, but lately I've been giving about twice that (~60mg/kg).

Metronidazole doses for blackhead vary... Some books say 30mg/kg, some say 25mg/kg twice a day, some vets say 60mg/kg once a day, others 60mg/kg twice a day and some people on BYC say to give 250mg to and an average sized chicken. I've done all of the above at one time or another. One thing that all of the above doses have in common is that they are *always* given for five days.

1kg = 2.2 pounds

-Kathy

I've used 125 for a Bantam and 250 for an LF for canker and blackhead. Dosage was once a day for 5 days at the most. For others who aren't sure where to find metronidazole tabs, pigeon supply outfits like Jedd's or Foy's carry Aviotrich which is a coated 100mg metronidazole tab that dissolves slowly to reduce regurgitation.

1kg = 2.2 pounds

-Kathy
Kathy, if you ever have another turkey get infected; give it an initial dose of 500mg metronidazole the first day, then 250mg once a day for the next four days.

Back
Top Bottom