Yellow Urates? Anyone with experience?

Renee

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Hi all,

This morning when I cleaned the coop, Quasimodo's droppings had yellow urates. I read that this is a sign of kidney or liver failure.

Has anyone else had a chicken with yellow urates? What was the diagnosis?

Quasimodo is one year old this week. She is a Silver-laced Wyandotte who is free-fed organic layer pellets and oyster shell. She gets about twenty grains of mixed scratch (about 1/3 of a palm full) as a treat in the morning when I clean the coop, occasional lettuce or radish greens, and access to the lawn and yard about four times a week for an hour or so. I put three drops of liquid PolyViSol in one of her large water bowls when I refresh it each morning, and she has a second and third water fountain available.

She has never been wormed or treated for lice or mites, but I clean the coop and run daily and check the vent area of each bird several times a week. No shavings or straw, I have sand in the run and clean it daily. They have access to a small dirt yard cleaned daily.

She is laying an egg a day, she is not thin, and she seems perfectly fine otherwise. My other two chickens seem thin in comparison to her.

Any suggestions?

She sounds like she'll be ok. Just watch her carefully for any new symptoms.

I had a bird that had yellowish urates and he clearly wasn't doing well. He had Marek's Disease and his kidneys failed.

Back
Top Bottom