Yes, thats right... Another humidity question

Mom2Munchkins

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Upstate NY
Yup, that's right, I am STILL having humidity trouble. I have an LG with a fan. I can't get it right, my humidity is either 30 or 60, it just can't be right!!! It will get down to 30, so I add about 1/3 of an ounce of water, and it immediatly jumps to 60. What the heck, should I add just drops??
barnie.gif
he.gif

Where are you at in the incubation cycle?

I went around and around with my thermo/hygro cheapies and think I've got them right now. At least my hatches have been good... I salt tested them and they both read about the exact same RH, after about 10 hours of the testing. So, I just labeled them +1 and +3.

As suggested to me... I've been using a modeling clay hunk (shaped like an egg...) and shoving a oral thermo in it twice a day to check temp. I'm dead on.

The amount of water evaporation, (which determines the humidity level) is determined by the amount of surface evaporation.

In my Little Giant, there is a large square water holder and two smaller water holders on each side. To keep my incubator at 30% humidity I have found I only need to put water in one of the smaller water holders.

If I put water in both of the small water holders, I get 50% to 65% humidity levels.

Quote:
You know? I think that is what I would do ..

and yes, a few drops of water goes a long way in some bators..

I put a half ounce in my LG and It jumped right up there to over 60%

and it takes a loooong time to work its way down..

I am thinking that I might drill an inch and a half dia hole in the top and covering it with a metal plate.
then I can cover the hole or uncover it as much as I need to to control the humidity.. My cabinet bators have such holes and they work well..

I only put water in one of the small 'grooves' I am just sick of watching it 24/7 and being afraid to even add a drop of water. It's like there are no numbers between 30 and 60. LOL

I guess I would try finding a smaller container to put a small amount of water in and set it in one corner under the screen. Please let us know if this works, I love trying to solve these kinds of problems.

Last edited:
I would check your hygrometer for sure before I did anything else. Mine go completely whacky sometimes and I have to take them out for a while. Then when I put them back in they are fine for a few days.
Gina
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom