Yes you can save on new lumber!!!!!!!!!

Omran

Crowing
Jul 26, 2008
Bagdad KY
Hello chicken's Lovers,
Do you know that most lumber yards and building materials stors will sell you all twisted or not perfect lumber for a deep discount.

Last sunday we decided to add an addition (8'x10') to our chickehouse and after I gathered a lot of free Lumber from here and there I needed about 20 more pieces of (2x4) so we went to lowe's and I put all the little twisted 2x4x12 on my cart and then I asked the manager for discount, well guess what I paid $0.97 for each, I like to share this info with you friends because I know how hard on all of us money these days.
I will post some pictur of my new addition coop when I get done.

Thank you for reading.
Omran

This is quite true, I'd just like to point out that a person has to have good judgement about how much of which different types of flaws they can get away with for the particular use they're intending...

Pat

Thanks for the info, i am starting to build a coop right now, and every little cent helps.
May i add,
right now Lowes has 10% for veteransday, good for active duty, retired.... check the webpage for more info.

I built most of my coop with lumber from one dumpster. Someone did a huge renovation, it was like I got all the wood from what was probably an attic floor.

There's not much I'll jump into a dumpster for but scrap wood is always tempting.

Culled lumber is what it is called. When I was framing we dropped tested every board we used for integrity issues. You just hold the board on one end with the other end sticking out ahead of you and two feet off the ground and while still holding on the end, let the other drop. You'll hear if it is bad. Heck sometimes the board will just break. Twists and crowns and mild waning is not a problem. Splits and knots are. The only real concern is building a large coop with large spans.

jeremy

That is what I take dh to the lumber yard for!!! He went to an auction for UBC recently and got insulation for the ceiling of the coop for was less than we were going to pay at another place. He is the one with the mind for what I need to get things done. Guess that we will have to try the asking for a discount on the junk boards from now on.

I am very lucky with lumber - my company assembles utility trucks and we get the "bodies" (big boxes) on flatdecks. They come in braced with 8' long 2x4s, sometimes 10', and when they unload, they drop all those boards right by our scrap wood dumpster. Employees are free to take whatever is clearly in the trash pile. I built my chicken tractor with a lot of that, plus I am now building a greenhouse. (Some of the smaller lengths have even been tongue-and-groove, I'm trying to figure out a way to use that for a sliding door or something, ha ha!)

If you have any companies like that in your area, you can check with them. We have to *pay* to dispose of our wood. Did I mention the bajillion pallets we get, too? lol I've advertised them on Craig's List during the winter and people come all the time to just take them away. Saves us $$ and does them a favor too.

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom