Yes, your chicken will eventually lay

kortmom

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
i have six chickens all born in early May. Five of them have been laying for months. I was convinced that my sixth would never lay! She laid her very first egg yesterday at 9 months old! Be patient, your late bloomer will eventually lay too!

Goodness, she took her time! I once had a hen lay her first egg aged 8 months. By that time I've about given up on her, so it was a nice surprise.

Was this encouraged by artificial light? Mine are about 20 weeks old, but I'm not expecting eggs until longer days when the DST changes back.

No, I do not use any artificial light. My first year layers are doing wonderfully. Yesterday I got 6 eggs from 6 chickens! I average 3 to 4 eggs (that was when I had five layers) a day.

btw, I have 2 RIR, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 easter eggers. It was one of my easter eggers that was the late bloomer. I have 3 new babies coming in April, a RIR, an australorp, and a brown speckled sussix. I don't have electricity in my coop. I let mother nature take its course and lug water down twice a day in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom