Yes, your chicken will eventually lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kortmom, Feb 13, 2014.

1. kortmom

kortmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    i have six chickens all born in early May. Five of them have been laying for months. I was convinced that my sixth would never lay! She laid her very first egg yesterday at 9 months old! Be patient, your late bloomer will eventually lay too!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Goodness, she took her time! I once had a hen lay her first egg aged 8 months. By that time I've about given up on her, so it was a nice surprise.

3. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    Was this encouraged by artificial light? Mine are about 20 weeks old, but I'm not expecting eggs until longer days when the DST changes back.

4. kortmom

Mar 1, 2013
    No, I do not use any artificial light. My first year layers are doing wonderfully. Yesterday I got 6 eggs from 6 chickens! I average 3 to 4 eggs (that was when I had five layers) a day.

5. kortmom

Mar 1, 2013
    btw, I have 2 RIR, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 easter eggers. It was one of my easter eggers that was the late bloomer. I have 3 new babies coming in April, a RIR, an australorp, and a brown speckled sussix. I don't have electricity in my coop. I let mother nature take its course and lug water down twice a day in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by