Yet Another Mule Duck Thread

nekobrenna

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
Belle Center, OH
I wasn't sure if I should add to one of the old Mule Duck threads so I started a new one. Hi all :) I've been a lurker on here ever since I moved to the country and started my own flock last year. I am particularly fond of the ducks I have. I started this year with a black and white Muscovy male, what I think is a blue with chocolate Muscovy male, a fawn runner female, and a khaki female. I wasn't sure of the gender of the two Muscovies at first so I bought a silver Muscovy male at the poultry show in my area. Imagine my dismay when I found the gender of the first two out. But that's okay cause I now have a white Muscovy female for my poor lonely silver boy (who has no interest in the other girls).

So. I now am waiting on 13 mule eggs in my incubator to hatch. I couldn't believe that I only lost maybe 3 of the mules, 2 of which were infertile. I'm hoping to experiment with the mules I get which mostly are khaki mules. Lol, my black and white boy thinks he's a real duck cause he has no interest in the Muscovy female at all. But I'm hoping to breed breedable mules for easy meat ducks. I will keep posting as I can, maybe about once a week if I'm lucky since internet is scarce in my area.

So the hatch didn't exactly go as planned... The ducklings were perfectly formed but too big to pip and zip. Only one survived cause it was helped out. I'm pretty sure it wasn't user error other than the ducks grew a lot bigger than I expected cause the brahmas and guineas hatched just fine with minimal losses(lost 4 brahmas and 3 keets at hatch). I'm trying again with 10 more duck eggs and a drier incubator (using an old still air styrofoam one).

So the hatch didn't exactly go as planned... The ducklings were perfectly formed but too big to pip and zip. Only one survived cause it was helped out. I'm pretty sure it wasn't user error other than the ducks grew a lot bigger than I expected cause the brahmas and guineas hatched just fine with minimal losses(lost 4 brahmas and 3 keets at hatch). I'm trying again with 10 more duck eggs and a drier incubator (using an old still air styrofoam one).

That's too bad.

I have my own scovie mixes hatched and hatching.. buff orpingtons and Muscovy drake... and to make this more fascinating i have both buff mamas sharing.. and i mean everything from ducklings through to the eggs lol... but boy they are hostile!

I am having the WORST luck with duck eggs this year... I hope when my hubby makes his freezer incubator it works out better for me. This last set of duck eggs all died on lockdown. Plus, I think all of my ducks are molting cause they haven't given me any eggs since the last week before hatch day.

Here's are brand new unexpected swedish muscovy Ducklings. One is Splashed and one is brown.

Attachments

• IMG_20190604_110650489.jpg
    IMG_20190604_110650489.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20190604_110709155.jpg
    IMG_20190604_110709155.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom