Yet another sand/no sand question for my PDX coop and run (with details)

MacMamaof4

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2012
I live in Portland, and am currently building my coop and run (I've had chickens several times in the past, but it's been a few years).

The location of my coop is in the front yard next to a place we hang out often, so I'm looking for the cleanest, most fly-free way to keep this coop and run, and I'm willing to put in the daily work to make this happen.

I love the idea of sand, but people are so polarized on it that it makes me nervous, so I'd love some advice on my specific coop and location.

I'm in Portland, so we get a lot of rain during the winter and spring, and we have mild winters. The run will be 12x6, and will house 4 ladies. It will be completely enclosed and covered, with a 1 foot overhang on all sides.

I built a retaining wall with blocks and am laying down several inches of gravel beneath whatever substrate I choose, and I may also dig a French drain around the two higher sides to further help with drainage.

Basically, it should stay almost entirely dry. I've used deep litter in the past, and though I loved it for ease, it had its fair share of odor and flies... Which is why I'm curious about sand. Either way, I'm planning on using sand and sweet coop in a scoopable sand box underneath the roost.

Soooo... what are your thoughts?
PXL_20210325_183449043.jpg

If you can keep it dry and don't mind daily scooping, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Keeping it dry is really the toughest part in much of the Pac NW.

Also it's interesting you're putting it in the front yard, no ordinances against that? Technically my coop is in the front yard, but that's because we have no back yard, everything is in front. :)

If you can keep it dry and don't mind daily scooping, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Keeping it dry is really the toughest part in much of the Pac NW.

Also it's interesting you're putting it in the front yard, no ordinances against that? Technically my coop is in the front yard, but that's because we have no back yard, everything is in front. :)

The only rules here were 15 feet from other houses, and now they've changed up all of the rules on limits/placing and the rules are 10 feet from the front and 3 feet from the side.

I did some pretty exhausting researching and couldn't find any other parameters, so hopefully I'm okay! I do see many other chicken coops in the front yard in my neighborhood.

It's definitely a battle to keep things dry here, but that would be equally true using and bedding. I'm mostly just nervous because I don't know what I would do with a ton of dirty sand if it goes badly. :/

If you don't mind a quick daily light raking I've had good results with the pine pellets. It breaks down into saw dust so your can lightly rake up the poop like a litter box. If your run is completely dry you will have to prepare them with water to make the saw dust before you scatter it in your run. Once a month or so I will rake it with a hard rake to turn it over to make sure there is not trapped yucky areas underneath and add a little more pellets. Total depth is a couple of inches.

I live in Portland, and am currently building my coop and run (I've had chickens several times in the past, but it's been a few years).

The location of my coop is in the front yard next to a place we hang out often, so I'm looking for the cleanest, most fly-free way to keep this coop and run, and I'm willing to put in the daily work to make this happen.

I love the idea of sand, but people are so polarized on it that it makes me nervous, so I'd love some advice on my specific coop and location.

I'm in Portland, so we get a lot of rain during the winter and spring, and we have mild winters. The run will be 12x6, and will house 4 ladies. It will be completely enclosed and covered, with a 1 foot overhang on all sides.

I built a retaining wall with blocks and am laying down several inches of gravel beneath whatever substrate I choose, and I may also dig a French drain around the two higher sides to further help with drainage.

Basically, it should stay almost entirely dry. I've used deep litter in the past, and though I loved it for ease, it had its fair share of odor and flies... Which is why I'm curious about sand. Either way, I'm planning on using sand and sweet coop in a scoopable sand box underneath the roost.

Soooo... what are your thoughts?View attachment 2584685
I use sand in the run, which is covered with a metal roof. Not one regret...maintenance free. I use sand mixed with Sweet PDZ on my coop floor and Sweet PDZ on the poop board. Takes 5 minutes to use a kitty litter scoop to clean the coop. No smell. No flies. I'm in NH.

They said five minutes a day with the litter scooper... That's what I'm hoping for as well.
I did end up going with sand but the chicks aren't quite old enough to move outside yet.

I made a sandbox under the perch as well, so my plan is to scoop that they morning and spend a few minutes scooping the run as well.

Ah. I assumed they meant both. I do intend to scoop both out daily, or at least the coop every day and the run every few.

Back
Top Bottom