Yet another sand/no sand question for my PDX coop and run (with details)

MacMamaof4

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2012
I live in Portland, and am currently building my coop and run (I've had chickens several times in the past, but it's been a few years).

The location of my coop is in the front yard next to a place we hang out often, so I'm looking for the cleanest, most fly-free way to keep this coop and run, and I'm willing to put in the daily work to make this happen.

I love the idea of sand, but people are so polarized on it that it makes me nervous, so I'd love some advice on my specific coop and location.

I'm in Portland, so we get a lot of rain during the winter and spring, and we have mild winters. The run will be 12x6, and will house 4 ladies. It will be completely enclosed and covered, with a 1 foot overhang on all sides.

I built a retaining wall with blocks and am laying down several inches of gravel beneath whatever substrate I choose, and I may also dig a French drain around the two higher sides to further help with drainage.

Basically, it should stay almost entirely dry. I've used deep litter in the past, and though I loved it for ease, it had its fair share of odor and flies... Which is why I'm curious about sand. Either way, I'm planning on using sand and sweet coop in a scoopable sand box underneath the roost.

Soooo... what are your thoughts?
PXL_20210325_183449043.jpg

I live in Portland, and am currently building my coop and run (I've had chickens several times in the past, but it's been a few years).

The location of my coop is in the front yard next to a place we hang out often, so I'm looking for the cleanest, most fly-free way to keep this coop and run, and I'm willing to put in the daily work to make this happen.

I love the idea of sand, but people are so polarized on it that it makes me nervous, so I'd love some advice on my specific coop and location.

I'm in Portland, so we get a lot of rain during the winter and spring, and we have mild winters. The run will be 12x6, and will house 4 ladies. It will be completely enclosed and covered, with a 1 foot overhang on all sides.

I built a retaining wall with blocks and am laying down several inches of gravel beneath whatever substrate I choose, and I may also dig a French drain around the two higher sides to further help with drainage.

Basically, it should stay almost entirely dry. I've used deep litter in the past, and though I loved it for ease, it had its fair share of odor and flies... Which is why I'm curious about sand. Either way, I'm planning on using sand and sweet coop in a scoopable sand box underneath the roost.

Soooo... what are your thoughts?View attachment 2584685
I use sand in the run, which is covered with a metal roof. Not one regret...maintenance free. I use sand mixed with Sweet PDZ on my coop floor and Sweet PDZ on the poop board. Takes 5 minutes to use a kitty litter scoop to clean the coop. No smell. No flies. I'm in NH.

I ended up doing several inches of gravel covered by several inches of sand, and so far I am loving it.

I had planned on scooping, but my coop and run houses two mini rex rabbits and four hens, and the rabbits dig so much the gravel and sand are now all interspersed which makes scooping nearly impossible.

The run is 6x12 and it's been only about six weeks, but even after several big rains there is absolutely zero smell. I do also have Sweet PDX that I plan to work in as well. The coop itself I had planned on being sand, but because the bunnies have chosen near the roost to be the place they go to the bathroom, I switched it to several inches of Flock Fresh to absorb the urine.

So far everything is shockingly clean and odor-free. I think part of the benefit of the rabbits is that their constant digging keeps things turned. I do rake the run when I walk in there to fill their holes back in and I'll replace the bedding in the coop when I need to, but what I'm doing is working better than anything else I've tried so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20210425_003527430.jpg
    PXL_20210425_003527430.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 32
If you can keep it dry and don't mind daily scooping, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Keeping it dry is really the toughest part in much of the Pac NW.

Also it's interesting you're putting it in the front yard, no ordinances against that? Technically my coop is in the front yard, but that's because we have no back yard, everything is in front. :)

If you can keep it dry and don't mind daily scooping, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Keeping it dry is really the toughest part in much of the Pac NW.

Also it's interesting you're putting it in the front yard, no ordinances against that? Technically my coop is in the front yard, but that's because we have no back yard, everything is in front. :)

The only rules here were 15 feet from other houses, and now they've changed up all of the rules on limits/placing and the rules are 10 feet from the front and 3 feet from the side.

I did some pretty exhausting researching and couldn't find any other parameters, so hopefully I'm okay! I do see many other chicken coops in the front yard in my neighborhood.

It's definitely a battle to keep things dry here, but that would be equally true using and bedding. I'm mostly just nervous because I don't know what I would do with a ton of dirty sand if it goes badly. :/

Here are some photos from my phone.
I am putting a link to my dropbox photos so I don't hog this site with photos...
Jonalisa's Coop and run photos (On the right hand side there is a drop-down menu where you can choose Large Grid, to see all photos at once)

I do add tied hay bales to the run in the winter, just to fight boredom, so they can climb on them - so you will see scraps of hay around. Also in some pics, you'll see my attempt to divide the run with framed chicken wire - these were panels we made last year. I used one this year to re-integrate a prolapsed hen back into to the flock...but usually, the hens have access to the run undivided. The run is 12x16 and I only have 9 hens. That said, I really never scoop or clean the run. I also have 8 chicks in the brooder, but one 6 yr old hen breathing her last as I type. The sand works as a desiccant and it really is a non-issue, but I will be happy to update when my flock becomes 16-17.
Anyway, @aart - I have a lot of respect for you and have followed your sage advice on many occasions, over many years. I know you are not a fan of sand. But this works for me and I am happy to share it with you 😘

I ended up doing several inches of gravel covered by several inches of sand, and so far I am loving it.

I had planned on scooping, but my coop and run houses two mini rex rabbits and four hens, and the rabbits dig so much the gravel and sand are now all interspersed which makes scooping nearly impossible.

The run is 6x12 and it's been only about six weeks, but even after several big rains there is absolutely zero smell. I do also have Sweet PDX that I plan to work in as well. The coop itself I had planned on being sand, but because the bunnies have chosen near the roost to be the place they go to the bathroom, I switched it to several inches of Flock Fresh to absorb the urine.

So far everything is shockingly clean and odor-free. I think part of the benefit of the rabbits is that their constant digging keeps things turned. I do rake the run when I walk in there to fill their holes back in and I'll replace the bedding in the coop when I need to, but what I'm doing is working better than anything else I've tried so far.
I have sand in my coop and run as well. We live in waaaaaay-Southern Ohio where it’s always wet and humid. The sand is a blessing as long as you can keep it relatively rain or snow free (our run is mostly covered, all covered in the winter). I use a long-handled wok spider to scoop poop twice a day. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZXGLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love your set up!

Soooo... what are your thoughts?View attachment 2584685
If the coop is covered and dry, sand works the same as a giant litter box. I use a doggie pooper scooper, so no bending or lifting involved. It is not for people who prefer to let things build up. If you scoop & rake daily, and keep things dry, sand works great.

I have sand in my coop and run as well. We live in waaaaaay-Southern Ohio where it’s always wet and humid. The sand is a blessing as long as you can keep it relatively rain or snow free (our run is mostly covered, all covered in the winter). I use a long-handled wok spider to scoop poop twice a day. Here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZXGLW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love your set up!

That's a great idea! I use a doggie pooper scooper (swivel bin & rake type) in the run and kitty litter scoop in the coop. I might give the spider a try for those hard to reach spaces in the coop. Right now I rake things forward & sift with the kitty little scoop.

Back
Top Bottom