Yet another snake post....

I am running just seeing the photo
The only good snake a dead one in my eyes.
If you were a city girl locked in a celler when you were young and told if you moved snake would eat you and it was dark so you didn't know if there was or wasn't snake there, you be the same way.
No not my mom and dad but a step grandparent.

Unlike the unfortunate Northern Watersnake that found its way into the shop, this snake got to keep its head. I was gonna catch it and check it out a little more, but it slipped beneath the brush where I got the pic. Here's another pic of it being quite rude and sticking its tongue out at me.

3396965102_f8851c5b41_o.jpg

The only ones that I kill are the venomous kind, and those that find the coop and eggs. On a personal note though, I hope one of the Barred Owls or Screech Owls find it.

The red rat snake in the photo was not very big. Only about 2 to 2.5 feet long. I have RIR which are pretty good size and a very good population of rats and small wildlife living next to a swampy area. So far it has not ventured into the chicken coop and I usually raise hand raise any biddies till they are big enough to free range. At night, they get caged and go into the big coop with the big flock.

We had BO pullet that slurped down a 2 ft. black/rat snake like some spaghetti of course she died a week or so later but don't know if the events were related? We think she was egg bound?

We found a 5 1/2 ft. black snake in our yard and caught it, measured it, marveled at it's strength (it was wrapped around DH's arm), examined it's face, scales, etc. and sent it on it's way. Incredible creature!!!

Here is a pic of the little beauty that comes to visit me.
smile.png
I think she is just stunning! She doesn't really mind us touching her but doesn't want picked up, bit me once to say so but I moved fast enough she didn't get latched on good. LOL There is a LOT more to her than you can see in this pic...she is well over 5' long.

7091_231.jpg

Back
Top Bottom