Yet another Tylan 50 question

chammer70

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Hello! If anyone can clear this up for me, I would really appreciate it. I've been reading every post I can find on Tylan and dosages, etc. It is all over the board. Have a very old, old hen showing severe signs of respiratory infection. I had to order the Tylan online because literally nobody in our area carries it. It took a week to get here. Yesterday, she was so bad, she was laying on her side gasping. I almost had my husband put her down, but I wanted to at least give her a chance with the meds, since they had finally arrived in Saturday's mail.

So...I injected her with .50 ML under the skin of her breast. Not in the muscle. She was even worse after being handled to administer it. So how shocked were we this morning when she was sitting up, not gasping at all, drinking a lot, eating only a tad.
(Except that my son and I spent a bit of time praying for her last night as well, hoping for a miracle!)

So we administered another dose this morning and this evening of .50 ML each time under the skin in the neck.

Now here's my questions, finally:
Can I do the injection once a day instead of two? I am hoping so!
And if I go to once a day, do I titrate the dose to a different amount?
And how long do I give it? I'm reading three to five days. I'm afraid to stop too soon.

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light for me!

Hello! If anyone can clear this up for me, I would really appreciate it. I've been reading every post I can find on Tylan and dosages, etc. It is all over the board. Have a very old, old hen showing severe signs of respiratory infection. I had to order the Tylan online because literally nobody in our area carries it. It took a week to get here. Yesterday, she was so bad, she was laying on her side gasping. I almost had my husband put her down, but I wanted to at least give her a chance with the meds, since they had finally arrived in Saturday's mail.

So...I injected her with .50 ML under the skin of her breast. Not in the muscle. She was even worse after being handled to administer it. So how shocked were we this morning when she was sitting up, not gasping at all, drinking a lot, eating only a tad.
(Except that my son and I spent a bit of time praying for her last night as well, hoping for a miracle!)

So we administered another dose this morning and this evening of .50 ML each time under the skin in the neck.

Now here's my questions, finally:
Can I do the injection once a day instead of two? I am hoping so!
And if I go to once a day, do I titrate the dose to a different amount?
And how long do I give it? I'm reading three to five days. I'm afraid to stop too soon.

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light for me!
3 to 5 days is usually what "I" post so you are probably reading that a lot. I only do oral and have great luck with that. Usually 3 days is about where I stop it, but have been 5 days. Some do it longer, some do it 2 times a day. I have had good luck the way I do it and having had over 1200 chickens at one time---I have had a little experience with it. That plus some TLC has helped with several in the last couple years. I am sure others will post. Good Luck

Last edited:
You are right about Tylan dosages being all over the place. It is a pretty safe in various dosages. The Plumbs Veterinary Handbook says that you can give a chicken 5 -20 mg per pound of weight 2-3 times a day given as an injection into the fattest part of the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep. Many people give it orally as well. If your hen weighs 5 pounds I would give her 1 ml at least twice a day. If she is 4 pounds give 1/2 ml. You could give one dose daily as a shot, and the other dose orally. So sorry that you had to wait a week for the medicine.

You could give it once a day as a shot, and later that day give one dose orally. Or you could give it twice a day orally. The shots can be more effective in a very sick bird.

Last edited:
Okay. Thank you for your help. I was reading some do injections only once daily and I was hoping to get away with that since I have no help in the mornings. She's a feisty old girl and it's hard to do it by myself. Guess I'll give it a go!

Back
Top Bottom