Yikes...Egg has never moved?

TeePants

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
Well, it's the end of day 19 and I am down to one egg. 3 of the 5 didn't develop at all, 1 didn't develop AND rotted, the little jerk. This LAST ONE has a developed aircell and is appropriately dark, but I've never seen 'movement' in it (granted, I'm using a cheapie LED flashlight).

I had to pull that last bad egg out today- I couldn't see anything in it until I candled it JUST RIGHT, which I didn't do until it started to emit fumes. It exploded in the trash and not my incubator, thankfully.

I don't know if it was me, or the homeade 'bator, or if the eggs weren't fertile to begin with. I got them off eBay- I guess I got what I paid for, lol.

I did take a quick peek at the last remaining egg- it looks right according to the egg candling chart here (I did NOT remove it from the bator and my bathroom is pretty darn humid so it only dipped to ~60% before jumping back up).

BUT, I've NEVER seen it moving like I hear people describing on here- either while candling or otherwise. Is it dead? Should I just pull it and not get my hopes up? I feel like a moron having bought chick feed, set up a brooder, etc etc. Should I start calling around to find some day old chicks?

Yeah that's what I figured. But they're bantams, and I am having trouble finding ANY chicks locally right now.
he.gif
Let the craigslisting begin, I suppose.

Louisiana, and uh, good point, lol.
lol.png
Sorry, it's late and my brain isn't fully functioning atm.

Oh no, that's terrible!
sad.png
Well, I'll call around later in the morning when the rest of the world is awake, haha. Besides, there's still a sort of awfully good chance knowing my luck this last one won't hatch either.

Next time, I think I'll just buy an incubator... I don't want to force future generations of eggs to suffer my attempts at DIY, lol.

Back
Top Bottom