Yikes! Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Alrighty...

Our first serious try at incubating was with a dozen eggs from a local farm. According to the farmer, there were Ameraucanas, White Leghorns, Light Brahma and Rhode Island Reds. We sold the RIR, the Ameraucanas, and the Light Brahma. But the yellow chicks that hatched out of the white eggs are now feathering out a buff color! What the heck??

I would normally be exctatic at the thought that they might be a different breed, because I've had a hard time selling the leghorns due to their presumed unsuitability as "pet" chickens. But now I actually have a buyer for white leghorns! This person seems to be new to chickens and just wants a good egg layer, but I still don't want to take advantage and sell them something that isn't what I said it was.

So I guess my question is, do white leghorns feather out buff colored and then lighten to white? Or is this a different breed?

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Leghorns feather out white right from the start so I would say you have a different mix there. Were all those breeds in the same enclosure?

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    yup they feather white right from the start

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by