YIKES....it is alive!

WVchick71

Songster
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
Small Town
I had one egg left to hatch on a staggered hatch. Its way past time for it to be out so I figured with the humidity issue it wasnt going to hatch. I candled and saw no movement...nothing that would indicate anything was comin out. So, I like to break them open and see what happened. Did it develope at all, quit, or ???????? Broke it open and heard a peep...the baby is alive and was through the air cell. I wrapped it in a wet cloth and put it back in the incubator. Will it make it??????????

depends if it absorbed all its yolk sack...
keep is warm & most
fl.gif

The baby is still okay this am. I have kept it wrapped. Its still in the shell.. mostly. Alot of the shell part is gone but the membrane is intact with only a torn place where its beak is at. Should I just leave it this way and if so will it be able to make its way out? Or should I go ahead and finish taking it out?

The baby is still okay...just hanging out in the bator..same position. It peeps every now and then and will move its beak around a bit. It doesnt seem to be working its way out yet. Which confuses me because this would be day 24.

ok, after the past few days, I actually have some advice on this one...

We had two that had bad hatches and needed help. My daughter and friend got a little panicked and while I was at school decided the had to save the chick who had been peeping and chirping, through it shell. I guess the were watching it closely and it suddenly stopped the thought it went to sleep was lost on them.. They decided to help it hatch without checking or reading and it became a mess.. amazingly enough it looks like the little one is going to make it.

One thing I have learned after researching how to deal with this is you can pull the shell away from the membrane. If the membrane has dried out the chick will not be able to escape because the membrane will stick to the feathers. You can gently moisten the membrane with warm water, but don't wet the chicks head. Gently keep pulling the shell away while leaving the membrane intact. As you get to the bottom of the egg see if you see the yolk sac. If there is yolk sac stop go no further.. If there is no blood and no yolk sac it has been shrunk wrapped and just needs help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=414682

That link has a bunch of great ideas.. Wish you the best of luck,

Christal

Good news !!! The baby made it and is in the brooder box. Seems to be doing great! Im so glad i didnt just throw that egg away! Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom