Yikes! Scratch Diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PDXChickGirl, Oct 23, 2007.

1. PDXChickGirl

PDXChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    I was away for the weekend, and the person looking after my chickens (they are 10 weeks old) fed them scratch instead of feed for 3 days. [​IMG]

Are they going to be ok? They seem fine, just big. Do I need to put them on a low fat diet?? I'm currently feeding them "general poultry feed" 18% protein (which the feed store said was the same as developer/grower feed - not sure I believe him).

Thanks so much for your help!!

2. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Mine are 7 weeks old and they have a 3 grain scratch available as well as chick starter. They seem helthy & happy to me.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They'll be fine. But they are probably hungry! Scratch doesn't have the nutritional values that regular feed has. It's the equivalent of a human eating junk food all the time.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I agree, they will be fine. Just think of it as kids eating pizza, chips and pop all weekend. [​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:You forgot chocolate, if I'm bingeing chocolate will be available at all times [​IMG]

6. PDXChickGirl

PDXChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:You forgot chocolate, if I'm bingeing chocolate will be available at all times [​IMG]

[​IMG] LOL
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease. They seem to be fine. But they seem sooo much bigger than when I left them on Friday!! They were happy to see me which of course made me so happy. [​IMG]

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007

I know this is a joking post but thought I would just mention that chocolate is extremely poisonous to birds

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND

I know this is a joking post but thought I would just mention that chocolate is extremely poisonous to birds

good thing I'm not a bird or I would have been dead years ago. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, they will be fine, just three days, not their whole life time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by