YO GEORGIANS! :)

Quote:
It's VERY dry right now, as in low rainfall, but HIGH in humidity almost all the time. Even in the winter it is relatively humid. Almost any breeds do fine as long as you provide enough shade and water. My chicken runs are built under trees and that helps a LOT. I have lived in NY for a breif time, and in Philadelphia, and it's WAYYYYYYYYY more humid here. So it can be only 40 here in the winter, but feel really cold because it's so humid the cold goes right to your bones. Summers can be brutally hot here, but only breeds I'd avoid are those specifically bred to tolerate the cold. We've had RIR, Barred rocks, sex links, and have had other breeds. we have SLW right now and they aren't even panting yet, even though it's been 100 here lately. But like I said, they are under the trees.

You'll need to check for any homeowner rules wherever you go. We have 16 acres out in the boonies, but even still there are covenants on the property that say I can only have 1 horse per acre, and also says no roosters. However, we own a majority of the lots, and our neighbors don't care that we have roosters. Guess it could get ugly should we ever end up feuding, but we all get along just fine.

My husband calls Silkies the purse dogs of the chicken world isn't that funny!
lau.gif
gig.gif
smack.gif
(the smack is for him....) What colors do you have - would love to keep them in but my St Bernard even at almost 10 years old would think they were fun for her to stroll after.

We lived in the Tidewater area of Virginia so we are used to humidity and I lived in Lugoff, SC for a couple years so heat and humidity are just fine after all the cold up here. Rather get in the water to get cool than shiver for three extra months!

Keeping some of the sweaters and coats just to be safe - just not the super heavy parkas!
tongue.gif

Congrats on the nice acreage - we have that here too. Most people around me just don't care though since we all manage to have chickens, cattle, horses, piggies and etc.

Looking forward to getting there!
wee.gif

OUr land was supposed to be part of a small subdivision of sorts. there were about 20 lots. We bought 4 which totalled 16 acres. Anyway, we have pretty good neighbors except for the one at the end of the road, and she doesn't bother us too much.

Yes, keep a few coats, but don't usually need anything super heavy here!

big_smile.png
Nice! We only have 8 here and were going to buy the 6 next to us until we decided that the cold was too much for my arthritis and my Fibromyalgia. Not to mention the VERY BAD taxes here. Plus I missed all the nice people in the South and how friendly every one is. At least the neighbor is at the end of the road - always ways to pull them in by a dozen eggs here and there and some veggies - makes them feel mollified I think. My husband and daughter call me the chicken whisperer....

I've heard that the feral hog population is getting to be a nuisance there - is that true and do they bother the chickens at all? What about the gardens? Man, if I don't make it down there with my husband's work transfer this time I think I might cry - you have no idea how excited I am to be getting down there and to have already found some chickie acquaintances!
frow.gif
hugs.gif

I'm sure we have a few feral hogs. But we don't have any issues with them because we have quite a few dogs (9) and they stay out a lot. So we don't see any hogs up by the house. My land is split by a dirt road. Have 3 acres on one side and 13 on the other. Chickens and horses are up on the 3 acres. Would love to put the horses across the road, but can't afford to have it cleared and it has a bunch of red maples on it that could be toxic to the horses.

The garden is also by the house, so nothing really bothers it much except for bugs, bunnies and the darn dogs like to dig and lay in it! LOL

We really haven't heard of too many issues with feral hogs. I'm sure some areas have problems, but we haven't. Now, I don't free range my chickens because of the dogs (and the neighbor dogs come visit too) but that's okay by me. They have good size runs and don't realize what they are missing out on! Honestly, I haven't heard a lot about the hogs causing any problems, but we don't get out much either. We have never seen any on the 13 acres across the road either. Hubby says he hasn't heard of any major feral hog issues in that area either, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't.

Last edited:
Well that is good news! Hate to come out to hogs munching in my garden or on my chickies. We have the GA hunting Guide already and it mentions them as an issue so I thought I would ask.

How's the soil there and how long is the planting season? Do you all have to heat the coops in the winter for your chickens and what is the average day and night winter temp there? Just need to make plans....gotta start packing all the leftover chicken paraphenalia in the next few days.....

We are down to one large St Bernard Female - actually Loki is only about 120 lbs so she is small. We lost my large Male St Bernard a couple months ago to cancer - about 200 lbs when filled out and healty and my sweet golden retriever to old age and cancer about the same time. We plan to go dogless for a bit and then get a couple more. Miss them terribly!

Suppose it's time to think about making dinner for everyone - dog is slacking outside my office door so she probably wants something from me too LOL!!!
lau.gif
Thank God the kids are grown and my 24 yr old daughter is only here until we get moved and she finds a job and her own place. Love her but I know she wants her own place - jobs are like diamonds in the dirt around here - hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom