YO GEORGIANS! :)

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SeramaSweetie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. sanchabird

sanchabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    I probrobly wouldn't use a regular bulb, I would just keep raising it to get to the right temp.

2. abmaddox1981

abmaddox1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    Sure can! They'll probably fight a bit at first. But they'll work it out and you'll have fertile eggs!

3. carcar80

carcar80 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2013
    GA, US
    Adorable! What kind if bedding is that? Forgive me if my morning eyes are just making it look like something I'm not familiar with, lol.

4. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Buy a dimmer cord at the hardware store ($10 or less). Adjust to any level of heat output instantly without moving it.

As far as a regular light bulb vs a red bulb, a regular light bulb would surely disrupt their sleep schedule even more than the red does. I swapped out the red for a ceramic heat emitter after a few days and they sleep much better now (che is a coiled ceramic heat bulb that is made for the same heat lamp sockets but does not emit any light, just heat).

[​IMG]

Is that bedding aspen? Looks like what I am using.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. abmaddox1981

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    Good Mornin'!!!

6. sanchabird

sanchabird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2014
    North Georgia
    The top strawish material looks like alfalfa

7. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    She's a pyromaniac... lol

8. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I would supervise them when you put them together. Sometimes it takes a few days for the pullet to get familiar with the roo enough to let him breed her. But if she's submissive enough, she may just go right down when he grabs her.

The hard part about using a "stud" rooster, is if she has been with any other rooster within the three weeks prior to being put with him, she MAY still lay eggs with the other roo's sperm. So if she is with a black copper maran roo, and one day you take her over to your friend's house, and she submits instantly, she MAY still be laying eggs with the black copper maran's sperm for up to three weeks. And yes, they really do last that long - I had to test it recently with a bantam hen that was laying phoenix eggs LONG after she was separated from him. Took me forever to get the eggs I wanted!

So if you're going to do that, make sure she is separated from all roosters for three full weeks prior to taking her to your friend's house.

9. nuttinfancy

nuttinfancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Ambrose, GA
    Morning all! Anyone doing big chicken projects today? I will be patching a leaky coop and continuing to build my breeding pens until the rain comes late today- Blah. We just got dry enough to walk across the place without needing mud boots.

10. abmaddox1981

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    We're building the turkey enclosure today. And processing rabbits. And hopefully getting the monster to hold temp so I can set eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by