YO GEORGIANS! :)

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by SeramaSweetie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Sleepy!
    About to head to bed to get ready for work again tomorrow!

2. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    When they start growing the feathers, the boys will have a black band around "their collar" and the girls will have the lacing around their collar. [​IMG]
    This is a female. Lacing all over back of neck. Boy will have a solid black band there.

1 person likes this.
  3. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    First, the curled toe. Her mother likely had a vitamin-B deficiency when her egg was created. So the chick developed curled toes.

But that means it is very likely that the chick is deficient in some vitamins too. The standing issue could be because of the toes. But I would strongly suggest keeping her separate for a bit, and upping her protein. You can try Whey protein that they sell for people at Wal-mart. But I would go buy some mealworms, crickets, etc., and let her have those. You'll get a LOT more enjoyment out of watching her eat it, lol!

Although a vitamin supplement from Tractor Supply wouldn't hurt at all. But for the growth part, you really need lots of protein. If you have most of them on a grower feed, try putting her (and only her) back on a starter feed. It has a higher protein content. But you want to keep her separate to make sure SHE is getting the food, and the others aren't pushing her away from it, especially now that they are so much bigger.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  4. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Also, go with what abmaddox said to fix the curled toes. Giving vitamin supplements won't fix it. You have to force the toes to stay straight so it will begin to develop straight.

But the combination of curled toes and being weak tells me that she is probably STILL missing vitamins and minerals somewhere.

5. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Here is the weird part about Ameraucanas. Even if you have two pure Ameraucanas and one is one color (like Wheaten) and the other one is another 'approved standard' color, and they breed together, your chicks would be considered Easter Eggers because they would no longer "breed true" to their 'approved standard' color. They would be a mix (of color) and no longer considered an Ameraucana! This is a HUGE issue on the "Ameraucana" thread on the BYC. So if you want pure Ameraucanas, both parents would have to come from the same color of Ameraucana.

1 person likes this.
  6. GAFarmGirl87

GAFarmGirl87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Welcome!
    Adorable!!!!

7. GAFarmGirl87

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Good to know! Thanks!! :thumbsup

8. abmaddox1981

abmaddox1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Griffin Georgia
    1 hatched, 2 zipping, a lot of cheeping!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. GAFarmGirl87

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia

Yes, that's what confused me from the very beginning. It's actually very silly, if you think about it. It took quite a while, and lots of research, but I finally have it down.
    I have 2 standard Ameraucanas, but the rest are EEs. One of my roos is a blue wheaten Ameraucana, except his comb is weird, so he's officially an EE

10. GAFarmGirl87

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia

:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by