YO GEORGIANS! :)

Good thing I actually wrote the set date on the Mallards eggs that I have in the incubator. I was sure they were due to hatch any day now and was getting worried there were no pips. Turns out they have almost another week to go. lol

Does anyone know if owls eat chickens? We have a couple of barred owls hanging out near our coop in the evenings. Actually saw one of them trying to kill a squirrel late yesterday.

Thought of you today when there was a bunny at bro-in-law's house. DS took a liking to it. "Ohhhhh no," I thought. lol

Think of us when he's picking out what kind he wants at his house ;)

I had an awesome time hanging out with@mrsdszoo and her daughter and the service dog! I found some new breeds of bunny I like! Now, to talk the hubby into it......

I don't see what you have to talk him into. You already have bunnies; adding and subtracting kinds of bunnies falls under the original permit ;)

Okay, so I talked to my BIL in Alabama. The Collinsville Trade Day is still huge. He said he goes often for chickens and turkeys and that there are tons of venders selling most any type of livestock you can think of. He also said you have to be careful with some of the venders...said there are a lot of older chickens people are just trying to get rid of. Oh, it's Saturday only, no Sunday. I found a website for it... http://www.collinsvilletradeday.com

Think of us when he's picking out what kind he wants at his house ;)
I don't see what you have to talk him into. You already have bunnies; adding and subtracting kinds of bunnies falls under the original permit ;)

Lol! I talked to him last night and told him I was getting rid of all the mutt bunnies except the kids'. Then I told him I need bigger cages.

Well, so glad it is raining today and not yesterday! We had a wedding at our home (Bear Ridge Lodge) and had about 70 people attend! It was an outdoor wedding for a couple from New York. Family and friends from Mass, NY, Calif, etc. all came down for the wedding. Most the out of town guests stayed at Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge. The bride and groom and their families stayed at our Lodge. It was beautiful! And here is the kicker! The couple will now walk back home on the Appalachian Trail! They will get home sometime around September! How cool is that!

Needless to say, the chickens didn't get to free range yesterday! But, I think every one of the guest took a million pictures of the chickens! I was asked by many many guest to show them the youngsters and many wanted to know "What's wrong with those ones with the Naked Necks?" My poor wonderful misunderstood Naked Necks! I love them!

Book, so sorry about your friend. It's hard to lose friends.

My frizzled Naked Neck, Electra

Does anyone know if owls eat chickens? We have a couple of barred owls hanging out near our coop in the evenings. Actually saw one of them trying to kill a squirrel late yesterday.
I wouldn't worry TOO much about adult chickens with Barred Owls, but younger chickens beware. They will take a grown chicken but it's not on the top of their menu..... Just don't let your pet mice and voles free range at night and you will most likely be ok.

Food and feeding

The Barred Owl is a very opportunistic predator. The principal prey of this owl are meadow voles, followed by mice and shrews of various species. Other mammals preyed upon include rats, squirrels, rabbits, bats, moles, opossums, mink, and weasels. A Barred Owl was photographed in Minnesota in 2012 predaceously grabbing and flying with a full-grown domestic cat, a semi-regular prey item for the Great Horned Owl but previously unknown to be taken by this species.[11] Birds are taken occasionally and commonly include woodpeckers, grouse, quails, jays, icterids, doves and pigeons, and even domestic ducks and chickens, where they will even swoop through small openings in enclosed and covered runs. Less commonly, other raptors are predated, including smaller owls.[10] Avian prey are typically taken as they settle into nocturnal roosts, because these owls are not generally nimble enough to catch birds on the wing. It occasionally wades into water to capture fish, turtles, frogs and crayfish.[3][12][13] Additional prey include snakes, lizards, salamanders, slugs, scorpions, beetles, crickets, and grasshoppers. Barred Owls have been known to be attracted to campfires and lights where they forage for large insects. Prey is usually devoured on the spot. Larger prey is carried to a feeding perch and torn apart before eating.
The Barred Owl hunts by waiting on a high perch at night, or flying through the woods and swooping down on prey. A Barred Owl can sometimes be seen hunting before dark. This typically occurs during the nesting season or on dark and cloudy days. Of the North American owls, the Pygmy, Hawk, Snowy, Barn and Burrowing Owl are more likely to be active during the day. Daytime activity is often most prevalent when Barred Owls are raising chicks.[3][13] However, this species still generally hunts near dawn or dusk

Back
Top Bottom