YO GEORGIANS! :)

My central AC broke yesterday. Had to buy a window unit to make the bedroom sleep-able. I now understand why my chickens don't wanna lay eggs. It freaking hot in south Georgia.

Our AC went out and we ended up fixing it ourselves. We have absolutely no HVAC experience. We did tons of trouble shooting, replaced a couple parts we didn't need to but at least they are new now. Would have been over $1000 if we a tech had fixed it, we spent $180. :)

What are the symptoms?

Aren't chickens supposed to be quiet at night? I can't sleep so I went to sit out on the porch and I hear this purring sound coming from the coop and then a couple clucks. The chickens did this for about 15 minutes. I went out to make sure nothing was in there and they were all on the roost, except a couple dumb ones that sleep under it and an RIR that was sleeping in the middle of the floor. But they were fine. Closed the coop back up and they started back with the purr/cluck.

Then my cat meowed at me, scarred the $hit out of me because when I left the house she was sleeping on the bed and I didn't think she got out.. So I went back inside.

So why are they making so much noise when they should be sleeping. I've never heard them make that much noise.

Last edited:
This is the first year it feels decent we sleep in the lining room....we have no centralnheating or air... im usually freezing when I go where someone has real ac. You know....if I remember correctly....people use to live with out these commodities....lol

My people come from the great white north! (Canada!) LOL I grew up in a place not far from Boston and every summer we would go visit family in Canada. We always had AC in the summer. Hate the heat and love the cold and the snow. I am betting that might have something to do with the heat being harder on me and the kids than for those who are used to the heat and grew up down here. The Army moves us all over, and I never get used to the heat, at least in TX and AZ though the heat was a dry heat and not so hard to deal with.

Chances are though this is our last military stop and we will be here for a very very long time. Best make the most of it. I will however do just about anything to stay in the AC during the summers here!

No a/c here! I love the hot weather. Does anyone remember just a few short months ago when we were freezing our a**** off? You can acclimate yourself to the heat, I use a window fan. I do, however, use every kind of heat known to man in the winter. I still haven't completely recovered from the -2 degree temps for several straight nights in January... BRRRR! You will never hear this native of Troup County, GA complain about the heat. Bring it on you big orange orb of life!!!!
cool.png

We got here in February and it was already sweeter weather at night and t-shirts during the days. I loved it! Come on, all you needed to do was open a window and put a blanket on the bed to accliment yourself to the cold! LOL

My oldest has been asking for a kitten for years and while we have an old cat, the fact is this house has mice! Our cat has gotten two so far, but as stated, she is old. I figured daughters birthday is next month (15!) and another mouser would be helpful. This little thing is still bottle fed! (abandoned) GREAT learning lesson for the teen I think getting up every 3 hours to give it a bottle! Any ideas on how to raise it to not hunt the chickens?

This is the first year it feels decent we sleep in the lining room....we have no centralnheating or air... im usually freezing when I go where someone has real ac. You know....if I remember correctly....people use to live with out these commodities....lol

I'm with you, Book. I worked in greenhouses for years - 120 F and 100% humidity - no problem. Since I've been dealing with this auto-immune crap, I am always HOT HOT HOT! For a while I thought I was losing my mind, but my doc assured me it's very common among people with this stuff. Blah! My hubby is the opposite. He can work right on thru summer, but hates the cold.

That might be it too, the auto-immune stuff is no joke. My husband is the same way as yours, he likes the heat and hates the cold! I wish I loved the heat! Our utility bills would be so much lower!

Our AC went out and we ended up fixing it ourselves. We have absolutely no HVAC experience. We did tons of trouble shooting, replaced a couple parts we didn't need to but at least they are new now. Would have been over $1000 if we a tech had fixed it, we spent $180.
smile.png

What are the symptoms?
I have a leak somewhere. Probably in the evaporator coil. I am looking at replacing it if that is the case. The unit is 10 years old and R22 is stupid expensive now.

So I got home yesterday and I had 2 eggs in one of the Laying boxes. Looks like my ladies are going to be the stereotypical single box layers. At this point I know 3 of the 7 hens are laying. I am pretty sure my Cornish Rock is laying. Every 3-4 days I get a much larger double yolked egg. I guess the question now is if that continues what are my chances of getting her eggs to hatch?

Aren't chickens supposed to be quiet at night? I can't sleep so I went to sit out on the porch and I hear this purring sound coming from the coop and then a couple clucks. The chickens did this for about 15 minutes. I went out to make sure nothing was in there and they were all on the roost, except a couple dumb ones that sleep under it and an RIR that was sleeping in the middle of the floor. But they were fine. Closed the coop back up and they started back with the purr/cluck.

Then my cat meowed at me, scarred the $hit out of me because when I left the house she was sleeping on the bed and I didn't think she got out.. So I went back inside.

So why are they making so much noise when they should be sleeping. I've never heard them make that much noise.
Birds are very light sleepers. Nearly any noise or light will wake them. If they are startled and scared they'll make a lot of cackling noises. If they're just awakened by something that doesn't necessarily alarm them they'll make the quieter noises until they go back to sleep.

My oldest has been asking for a kitten for years and while we have an old cat, the fact is this house has mice! Our cat has gotten two so far, but as stated, she is old. I figured daughters birthday is next month (15!) and another mouser would be helpful. This little thing is still bottle fed! (abandoned) GREAT learning lesson for the teen I think getting up every 3 hours to give it a bottle! Any ideas on how to raise it to not hunt the chickens?
Just start exposing her to them now. Our cats completely ignore the chickens, ducks, geese and all the baby birds that come along. Right now the adult birds won't fear it and will put it in its place if it screws with them.

Last edited:
So i have a 6ft privacy fence around my back yard. My not so intelligent birds have decided they need to fly up and get on the fence. Besides putting up wire what is a good way to keep them from doing that. I'm scared that if they jump down on the other side they will be to dumb to figure out how to get back in.

Back
Top Bottom