YO GEORGIANS! :)

So i have a 6ft privacy fence around my back yard. My not so intelligent birds have decided they need to fly up and get on the fence. Besides putting up wire what is a good way to keep them from doing that. I'm scared that if they jump down on the other side they will be to dumb to figure out how to get back in.
I have one that did that. Clipping their wings will help, just make sure they don't get out and can't fly back over.

Birds are very light sleepers. Nearly any noise or light will wake them. If they are startled and scared they'll make a lot of cackling noises. If they're just awakened by something that doesn't necessarily alarm them they'll make the quieter noises until they go back to sleep.

Just start exposing her to them now. Our cats completely ignore the chickens, ducks, geese and all the baby birds that come along. Right now the adult birds won't fear it and will put it in its place if it screws with them.
My cats are the same, actually two of my cats are scared to death of them. Always have been.
You can always trim their wing feathers so they can't fly up.
I did that. Of course that chicken got attacked by a dog the day after because she couldn't fly back over. When you have someone working at your house, tell them to keep the gates closed, it saves chickens.

So i have a 6ft privacy fence around my back yard. My not so intelligent birds have decided they need to fly up and get on the fence. Besides putting up wire what is a good way to keep them from doing that. I'm scared that if they jump down on the other side they will be to dumb to figure out how to get back in.

Can you fence off an area of the yard and use avian netting? I have a 40 x 40 foot fenced pen with avian netting on top and that stuff is apparently quite strong.

A few days ago a heavy tree limb ended up on top of the net and rested on the ground, after my lawn man and his grown grandson helper got it OFF the net with a bit of struggle no damage was done. Tuff stuff! Pretty cheap too, cost me $60 or so on Amazon. Keeps hawks OUT and my bantams IN.

If your chickens start roaming outside of your yard they will become prey for something or other, cars, dogs, something.

Last edited:
Would anyone in GA like to trade some gunieas? We had quite a few this year and to keep the genetics fresh and not line breed next year I would love to swap some birds. Most of our birds are 2 months old... We are just south of Newnan =) color does not matter.

All the best.

Back
Top Bottom