YO GEORGIANS! :)

Hello, I'm down here in Georgia too! We live on 13 acres and free range 14 chickens. 10 buff orpingtons, 2 rhode island reds, 1 silkie, and 1 partridge plymouth rock. I can't wait until the hens start laying! They are 14 weeks and 18 weeks old so I have a little ways to go still.

Hello, I'm down here in Georgia too! We live on 13 acres and free range 14 chickens. 10 buff orpingtons, 2 rhode island reds, 1 silkie, and 1 partridge plymouth rock. I can't wait until the hens start laying! They are 14 weeks and 18 weeks old so I have a little ways to go still.

yippiechickie.gif
Welcome to the party!! Sounds like you have a nice little flock. Post some pics,
we love pics here. It probably won't be too much longer before you have eggs in the nest.
Here's a pic of my broody Cuckoo Maran with her peeps.

Anyone want to try to guess what kind chicken gave us this egg finally? It is the one on the right is from one of our Maran hens.

The tan little egg could be from a speckled sussex, black sextlink, or light brama.

My oldest has been asking for a kitten for years and while we have an old cat, the fact is this house has mice! Our cat has gotten two so far, but as stated, she is old. I figured daughters birthday is next month (15!) and another mouser would be helpful. This little thing is still bottle fed! (abandoned) GREAT learning lesson for the teen I think getting up every 3 hours to give it a bottle! Any ideas on how to raise it to not hunt the chickens?

Book there is often one problem with bottle fed singleton kittens, without other kittens to play with they end up with NO bite/scratch inhibition. Not always, but often times those singleton kittens bite/scratch HORRIBLY as they get older because they just don't understand how much it hurts/damages others. I know some folks will find a litter of similar aged kittens (at the vet or a rescue or someplace) and let the singleton live with those kittens for a few days to learn how to play nicely. Perhaps if this kitten spends a lot of time with your older cat he will learn that way too.

I think if the kitten is raised around chickens they can learn not to hunt them BUT the biggest risk with cats and birds is the pasteurella virus, cats carry it and it is extremely lethal for birds, even a tiny pinprick scratch can infect a bird and they will be dead within days (chicks or smaller birds die very fast). They can survive if they get antibiotic treatment very early on. Just a warning as folks think it takes real injury for a cat to harm a bird, in fact it can happen almost accidentally if kitten is playing with a bird.

Last edited:
Book there is often one problem with bottle fed singleton kittens, without other kittens to play with they end up with NO bite/scratch inhibition. Not always, but often times those singleton kittens bite/scratch HORRIBLY as they get older because they just don't understand how much it hurts/damages others. I know some folks will find a litter of similar aged kittens (at the vet or a rescue or someplace) and let the singleton live with those kittens for a few days to learn how to play nicely. Perhaps if this kitten spends a lot of time with your older cat he will learn that way too.

I think if the kitten is raised around chickens they can learn not to hunt them BUT the biggest risk with cats and birds is the pasteurella virus, cats carry it and it is extremely lethal for birds, even a tiny pinprick scratch can infect a bird and they will be dead within days (chicks or smaller birds die very fast). They can survive if they get antibiotic treatment very early on. Just a warning as folks think it takes real injury for a cat to harm a bird, in fact it can happen almost accidentally if kitten is playing with a bird.
I am so glad you told @Book this information about pasteurella virus. Our son came home from college this past week with a kitten and I was thinking about letting it get used to our 6 to 8 week old chicks. Now I think I will pass on that idea. We have always had dogs so I know nothing about cats.

I am so glad you told @Book this information about pasteurella virus. Our son came home from college this past week with a kitten and I was thinking about letting it get used to our 6 to 8 week old chicks. Now I think I will pass on that idea. We have always had dogs so I know nothing about cats.

Obviously it is not a big concern in the chicken world where barn cats and the like are common (and no one gets very concerned when a chicken drops dead or even realizes why it happened).

It is a big concern among folks that keep parrots and other exotic birds though, if they also have cats they will usually keep them in completely separate rooms/areas of the house to prevent accidents/contact.

Back
Top Bottom