YO GEORGIANS! :)

Lol!!! Well if i based it off looks I'd keep the EE Roo. The other 2 RIRs are not bad to look at either. should I base my decision on breed? I will say the EE sounds like a goose, just honking all morning. Its an awful sound. Ha!

I have my first broody!!! One of my speckled Sussex has been missing for 4-5 days. I would see her then she would disappear and wasn't in the coop at night for head count. I last saw her two days ago and then she was gone again. Today I followed her and found her nest.

The only problem with her being broody is that I don't have a rooster so her sitting is pointless. So my question is, should I take her away from the nest and lock her up until she snaps out of it or can I get some hatching eggs and let her hatch.

Is it too late in the year to hatch? If not who HAS SOME EGGS I can sneak under her?

I am in Thomson, so we are just about neighbor! I have a Black Copper Maran hen laying fertile eggs, the roo is a Blue Copper Maran. He is over a mixed flock so other eggs I could give you would be farm mixes. (I think that is what they call them!) Let me know if you want me collect some for you and how many! No charge, happy to help!

@Book, that would be awesome! I'd love to get maybe 3 or 4 maran eggs and 2 mixes. Message me and I'll give you my number and we can meet up. :)

@Book , that would be awesome! I'd love to get maybe 3 or 4 maran eggs and 2 mixes. Message me and I'll give you my number and we can meet up.
smile.png

The Maran lays just about every day so should have them by the weekend!

Lol!!! Well if i based it off looks I'd keep the EE Roo. The other 2 RIRs are not bad to look at either. should I base my decision on breed? I will say the EE sounds like a goose, just honking all morning. Its an awful sound. Ha!
Robo, you are a nut....anyway, if I were to keep a rooster, I would pick according to what I wanted to breed and if the rooster is nice. I would definitely get rid of any rooster that shows signs of aggression towards people. Then, I would decide what I would like to breed in the future. For me, I am interested in all the different colored eggs. I have hens from all different breeds and get eggs that are all shades of greens, blues, pinkish, browns, off whites and white. I sell my eggs and people are fascinated by the different colors. Anyway, so for me, I would want a rooster with some fun colored egg genes. (Or, if I want olive eggers and have lots of blue/green egg layers, I would want to use a dark brown gened rooster like a Marans) If you are interested in eating your chickens, you may want to keep the rooster that is the largest. If you are breeding a certain breed, you would want to check for the "standards" for that breed and keep only the roosters that are the closest to the standards. You don't want to use a rooster that has any defects or hereditary problems. (curled toes or the wrong comb for that breed)

If you are just having fun with your chickens and don't care about "standards", etc, then just pick the one with the best personality, coloring, or just the one you like the best!

I just had a dangerous thought. If I keep my Welsummer rooster: I have two Welsummer hens that could give me Welsummer chicks, and I also have Ameraucana hens that could give me Olive Egger chicks...

It's tempting, I may be trying out one of those no-crow collars soon, haha.

Robo, you are a nut....anyway, if I were to keep a rooster, I would pick according to what I wanted to breed and if the rooster is nice.  I would definitely get rid of any rooster that shows signs of aggression towards people.  Then, I would decide what I would like to breed in the future.  For me, I am interested in all the different colored eggs.  I have hens from all different breeds and get eggs that are all shades of greens, blues, pinkish, browns, off whites and white.  I sell my eggs and people are fascinated by the different colors.  Anyway, so for me, I would want a rooster with some fun colored egg genes.  (Or, if I want olive eggers and have lots of blue/green egg layers, I would want to use a dark brown gened rooster like a Marans)  If you are interested in eating your chickens, you may want to keep the rooster that is the largest.  If you are breeding a certain breed, you would want to check for the "standards" for that breed and keep only the roosters that are the closest to the standards.  You don't want to use a rooster that has any defects or hereditary problems.  (curled toes or the wrong comb for that breed) 

If you are just having fun with your chickens and don't care about "standards", etc, then just pick the one with the best personality, coloring, or just the one you like the best! 

I don't know enough about breeding to base my decision on that. I wouldn't mind receiving colored eggs. I have 2 EE hens and rir hens. Can the EE hens offspring lay colored eggs regardless of the roo? Please forgive my lack of chicken knowledge. Then there's the whole leg color thing determining chicks leg color, oh hurts my brain bc it's soo confusing to me. I'm not in this to raise anything pure mainly for eggs and fun

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom