YO GEORGIANS! :)

Eh one of my EE has blue legs and is laying brown eggs. Once the others start laying I'll try the comb theory 

Egg color has nothing to do with leg color. Egg color and comb type are thought to be more closely related, however, because the egg color and comb type are located on the same gene string. Pea combs are More associated with egg color. That being said, it doesn't always work out that way. I have a bearded, green legged, pea combed hen who lays a light brown egg.

I don't know enough about breeding to base my decision on that. I wouldn't mind receiving colored eggs. I have 2 EE hens and rir hens. Can the EE hens lay colored eggs regardless of the roo? Please forgive my lack of chicken knowledge. Then there's the whole leg color thing determining chicks leg color, oh hurts my brain bc it's soo confusing to me. I'm not in this to raise anything pure mainly for eggs and fun

For one thing, you don't need a roo to get eggs so your rooster has nothing to do with the hens you already have. They will lay colored eggs. The rooster will effect the egg color of his offsprings.

I've missed you guys something fierce! @carcar80 catch me up on all the new happenings. I refuse to read that far back.
Robo pretty much covered it.. I miss a lot anymore just staying busy with work and weekends but I try to follow along when I can? Or at least get on to bash Robo once weekly because well it just wouldn't be right to not to.

GAM- I have been following along in your drama. I'm so sorry and hope you're feeling okay. :( Gosh, the luck!

For one thing, you don't need a roo to get eggs so your rooster has nothing to do with the hens you already have. They will lay colored eggs. The rooster will effect the egg color of his offsprings.
thanks, and yes, I should have clarified that I understand they will lay without a roo. I meant will (any of my future chicks) EEs lay colored eggs despite the roo that fathered them? I guess that then leads to will offspring from my EE Hens also be EEs if the roo is a rir or an EE? Are EEs just a random mix or must there be Ameracuana in there? Ok... I think I'm asking too many questions that probably require several lengthy answers. Sorry!

thanks, and yes, I should have clarified that I understand they will lay without a roo. I meant will (any of my future chicks) EEs lay colored eggs despite the roo that fathered them? I guess that then leads to will offspring from my EE Hens also be EEs if the roo is a rir or an EE? Are EEs just a random mix or must there be Ameracuana in there? Ok... I think I'm asking too many questions that probably require several lengthy answers. Sorry!
Remember, I am not an expert and don't know a whole lot about genetics, but this is the way I see it:

Genetics can be tricky. You don't really know what the genetics of your EEs since they are mixes. Your EEs could be carrying one gene for blue (D) and one gene for white (R) and so you are getting blue eggs. Add a brown gene carrying rooster. Some of your chicks could have a greenish egg and some could lay light brownish eggs. Even if you use an EE rooster who carries a recessive white gene with a dominate blue gene and your hens have recessive white genes somewhere, you could end up with chickens that lay white eggs. This doesn't happen often as 75% would still lay a colored egg. Your best bet is to keep those chicks that have a pea comb. It can also be that they have no hidden recessive genes and all their chicks will produce colored eggs! Time will tell, and once you know what your hens/roosters produce, it will be easier to know what to put together to get your desired results!

If there is anyone out these who knows genetics, please feel free to correct any of this if necessary!

Remember, I am not an expert and don't know a whole lot about genetics, but this is the way I see it:

Genetics can be tricky. You don't really know what the genetics of your EEs since they are mixes. Your EEs could be carrying one gene for blue (D) and one gene for white (R) and so you are getting blue eggs. Add a brown gene carrying rooster. Some of your chicks could have a greenish egg and some could lay light brownish eggs. Even if you use an EE rooster who carries a recessive white gene with a dominate blue gene and your hens have recessive white genes somewhere, you could end up with chickens that lay white eggs. This doesn't happen often as 75% would still lay a colored egg. Your best bet is to keep those chicks that have a pea comb. It can also be that they have no hidden recessive genes and all their chicks will produce colored eggs! Time will tell, and once you know what your hens/roosters produce, it will be easier to know what to put together to get your desired results!

If there is anyone out these who knows genetics, please feel free to correct any of this if necessary!
I don't know if this is correct but I found this site about chicken Genetics http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm What do y'all think?
It's a bit over my head. Ok. Never mind. The link is not for the egg color but the chicken.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom