YO GEORGIANS! :)

Question: I have been arguing with my friend about hatching eggs. We both had trouble hatching his Golden Cuckoo Marans eggs. When I tried, I noticed that the air sacs in his dark eggs were too small by lockdown. The air sacs in my regular brown, green and blue eggs were about right. So, my thoughts were that I needed to lower the humidity when hatching his eggs. I feel that the dark coating of color on his eggs is really thick and so needs less humidity at the beginning so that more moisture comes out of the egg and makes the air sac bigger. Am I thinking correctly? I am asking this because he said he contacted McMurrays and asked them about humidity for Marans eggs. He said they told him he should use high humidity. (55%) to start. To me, that would make less moisture come out of the egg during incubation, therefore having a smaller air sac.. And, that is what was wrong with my hatch (of his eggs). Any comments?

Question: I have been arguing with my friend about hatching eggs. We both had trouble hatching his Golden Cuckoo Marans eggs. When I tried, I noticed that the air sacs in his dark eggs were too small by lockdown. The air sacs in my regular brown, green and blue eggs were about right. So, my thoughts were that I needed to lower the humidity when hatching his eggs. I feel that the dark coating of color on his eggs is really thick and so needs less humidity at the beginning so that more moisture comes out of the egg and makes the air sac bigger. Am I thinking correctly? I am asking this because he said he contacted McMurrays and asked them about humidity for Marans eggs. He said they told him he should use high humidity. (55%) to start. To me, that would make less moisture come out of the egg during incubation, therefore having a smaller air sac.. And, that is what was wrong with my hatch (of his eggs). Any comments?
I had some Maran eggs and I too was told to use a higher humidity, but they were shipped eggs and didn't do well so don't know which was the culprit for the bad hatch

Buddy, I love snakes, but our renters would die! My DH made me get rid of the lifelike rubber snake I use to use as a decoration on my bed (western themed room) because people would come in and scream and go running!

I still think it's funny that some city folks won't eat my eggs. We had renters this week who just got all freaked out over my different colored eggs! They just thought they were weird and wouldn't believe me when I told them they were they same inside. They also got freaked that they may be eating fertile eggs. One woman asked me if it was safe to eat eggs unless they had been 'pasteurized'! Really! Lol. Silly city folks! They left the whole free dozen I gave them in the refrigerator. Too bad, more for me!

did you should have told her that your hens are free to run the pasture all they want...........

Whenever I hatch Marans alone I lower the humidity. There are plenty of people that will say there is no difference but if you aren't getting good results with "normal" numbers and this breed does tend to have thicker shells and membranes, why not try something different? Plenty of Marans folks add no water at all until around day 18.

That being said, we just sold all the rest of my baby chicks and one juvenile cockerel. So now I just have the 6 that I want to keep. The 3 Lavender Ams, one blue AM, one BCM pullet (yeah) and one weird looking mix pullet. I had really wanted to keep the NN with the heavily feathered feet, but I suspect it was going to be a male, so I sold it. But, this summer, I am hoping to get my new little Lavender AM rooster and get some nice colored egg layers.

I found a person near me with black, lavender, wheaten and blue wheaten AMs.
I picked up a lavender rooster just cause :)

And today I picked up a RIR rooster so I will be ready to hatch IF I get that incubator for Christmas.

Yep...pretty quiet...I have been trying to figure out what chicks I want for this next year. I like what I'm hearing about the golden comet as egg layers. I'm wondering if I could get a "good" RIR roo to cover a few "good" RI white hens and breed my own golden comets...anyone doing this...? Also considering ISA browns for egg layers.

I love my comets. I get HUGE eggs from them.
Hmm, I just got a RIR rooster, maybe I need to find some RI whites to raise up.

I love my comets. I get HUGE eggs from them.
Hmm, I just got a RIR rooster, maybe I need to find some RI whites to raise up.

On further checking I found that it's the "cinnamon queen" that is the result from the RIR X RIW. They come from cackle hatchery. The "golden comet" is the result of production red roo and RIW hens. This is what they say about the cinnamon queeen:

Cinnamon Queen Chicken Breed Information:
The Cinnamon Queens are one of two Modern Day production Brown egg laying strains from hybrid breeding from Cackle Hatchery® that produce fast body development, fast egg production and rich brown egg shell color. These strains will start to lay eggs at a younger age than most standard heritage breeds and produce big large/extra large brown eggs. They are also color sexable as chicks for the first generation which are the chicks you receive, cockerel chicks are white, and the pullet chicks are more brownish red in color. Leg color is mostly yellow but a few may have some greenish color in the leg color. Feathering color varies with brownish feathers and white feathers on the adult hens. Feathering color varies from totally white to white with light to dark red feathers in shoulder feathers in the adult rooster. Chicks from this second generation will not be color sexable and will come in multiple colors. The parent stock is made from a proprietary Cackle Hatchery® bloodline/strain of the Rhode Island Red male and the Rhode Island White female.

Chicken Facts:

They have been developing the grandparent/parent flock/strain for 22 years (this is where today's chicks come from). While I would not expect the same high production result right away by crossing my own RIR/RIW but by selective breeding/culling I think it might produce pretty good results in the first couple of years.. I think I'm also going to try some ISA browns for layers which are reputed to the very best brown egg layers in the world with 60% of the total (world) brown egg market share.
  • Poultry Show Class: No official Show Class at this time
  • Weights - Hen-----5-6 lbs Rooster------7-8 lbs
    Pullet---5 1/2 lbs Cockerel----7 1/2 lbs
  • Purpose - Dual Purpose: egg laying and meat production
  • Egg Shell Color - Brown
  • Egg Production - Prolific: 250-320 eggs per year (*estimates only, see FAQ)
  • Country of Origin - United States
  • APA: -No
  • ALBC: -No
  • BREEDER FARM SOURCE: “ Cackle Hatchery® Poultry Breeding Farm” developing our bloodline or strain of pure Cinnamon Queen since 1993.

Back
Top Bottom