YO GEORGIANS! :)

Look what I hatched, Robo! Don't you love them? Lol IMG ALT=""]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7641454/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Oh, I want a pig to raise for meat. I've not known many to get boys for raising, need to keep a check on how that goes, my friend always gets girls. but if you fix em then he will just want to lay around and get fat. need to post pics of him, will he be food? Oh I heard and my friend swears by this, to get them into the trailer when they are big pull their tail and guide them that way, it worked for them.
We will do meat pig(s) eventually but for now this is a school visit pig.

I have a question about processing a chicken. When do you gut it? Before or after you dunk them In hot water to remove the feathers ?
Gut it after you scald/pluck.

Home processing of a pig is not the way to go..at least for us. We had pigs for several years, raised and sold babies for a while and then we decided time to stop all this after loosing a chunk of the garden designed to sell at market to the piggies. It took about 6 hours for three guys to process the very big pig and they processed everything including rendering lard. I said nevermore on home processing them.... After that, the other pigs went to the processor. I would love to get some more to raise out but pigs are notorious diggers and way to often I would find them in the "market" area of the garden. I do enjoy fresh pork, but until we have the fencing solved (and yes we used electric as well) I will need to pass. Well, sounds like the winds are really kicking up. I think I'll see if we have rain yet, surely hope so..... over70 days straight without no rain..... Hope all are okay and getting rains soon and no bad storms.

All the rain has turned my run from a dust bowl into a mud pit! We definitely needed it, but Yikes! We're talking several inches of mud in some places. I need to do some serious renovation of the run this winter.

All the rain has turned my run from a dust bowl into a mud pit! We definitely needed it, but Yikes! We're talking several inches of mud in some places. I need to do some serious renovation of the run this winter.
I thought my babies would be swimming in mud and I went and got some straw to put down, but to my surprise the ground has soaked all the rain up. Round one we didn't get all the rain that they said we would but round 2 is coming.

Back
Top Bottom