YO GEORGIANS! :)

Sad news! The Khaki Campbell who was laying eggs to hatch went missing today. She laid her nest of eggs right outside the coop under a woodpile. She was totally camouflaged. But, every night she would get off the nest and go inside the coop except last night. She just didn't want to get off the nest so we figured she had enough eggs to start incubating them so we let her stay. I assumed she would be safe being so close to the house and coop. This morning we found a trail of feathers that went up along side the run and up into the woods. So sad! First night we let her stay out and just like that, something got her! I candled the eggs and didn't see anything, but put them in the incubator in her memory! Hopefully, since she had just started sitting, they will develop. If not, Tabasco Jack, weren't you the one who just hatched some KCs? Maybe I could get a female from you and get it if you go to GAM's.

Sad news! The Khaki Campbell who was laying eggs to hatch went missing today. She laid her nest of eggs right outside the coop under a woodpile. She was totally camouflaged. But, every night she would get off the nest and go inside the coop except last night. She just didn't want to get off the nest so we figured she had enough eggs to start incubating them so we let her stay. I assumed she would be safe being so close to the house and coop. This morning we found a trail of feathers that went up along side the run and up into the woods. So sad! First night we let her stay out and just like that, something got her! I candled the eggs and didn't see anything, but put them in the incubator in her memory! Hopefully, since she had just started sitting, they will develop. If not, Tabasco Jack, weren't you the one who just hatched some KCs? Maybe I could get a female from you and get it if you go to GAM's.

I'm so sorry, Becky. That is sad news.

My guess is cockerel for the Splash and pullet for the black. I'm basing it on leg size. Splash has thick legs. Also, on stance. Cockerels have a more upright walk. Pullets tend to lean forward a bit. They also have thinner legs. Do this. Hold them with their backs downwards and put their legs together to see if there is a difference in that leg joint right before it hits their body. Boys have much larger joints there and thick legs. Good luck!

I don't know if it was the perspective in the photo, but they seem really close in leg size when put side by side. One thing I did notice is how much larger the wing on the splash is. I don't know what that means.

Is anyone looking for Mallard or mutt ducklings???? my DH says I can't keep all 8 of the babies we hatched
hit.gif

There are 3 mallards and 5 Pekin/WH mixes
i have been looking for some how much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerbh

Sorry to hear this. I'd be glad to fix you up with a couple of replacements. If I can stand their mess for another month.

1f625.png

Back
Top Bottom