YO GEORGIANS! :)

Thank you for the offer, but I think I'm going hold off for now. I have 12 eggs that are on 12 today---6 golden laced polish and 6 white crested blues. I am about to be eat up with chicks. I may holler at you in the future about one. I am down to the fort with decent regularity as my husband works at bluebird, so we are bound to catch up at some point! Right now I'm just focused on thinning my rooster numbers and looking at potential breeding pairs in the others. :cd  The crele polish are feathering out really nicely now, and I'm keeping an eye on the silver laced. 

Yeah, I'm supposed to be sticking to only cream legbars, silkies, and showgirls. Then I saw this raffle with these silver laced barnevelder bantams and I had to take a shot at them. I probably should hope I don't get them because my husband will probably give me a look if random eggs come in the mail. lol. Not to mention the two chicks I got to be company for my lonely turkey. I'm now not sure if they are roosters are not. I keep flip flopping. They are harder to tell than the other chickens I've had.

Kat, I'm bringing home-made smoked pulled pork. I just need a headcount, so that I know how many butts to pull. I'll also bring hamburger-style buns and home-made cole slaw, both for the pulled pork. In addition, I'll bring some home-made Cajun-style boudin (pronounced boo'-dan). It's a spicy pork-and-liver rice sausage that's very popular in the Acadiana region of Louisiana (where I'm from).

I hope Robo pulls some alligator out of the freezer camp.
droolin.gif

The day should be fun!
big_smile.png
I didn't know you were from La. I grew up in New Orleans. Will get you a head count ASAP I have you down for 3

I'd love to come.`Where about is it? I'm in Fort Valley, so I'm wondering how far of a drive it is.
need to PM Robo for directions, sorry can't post that. How many you and who? for head count

I'll be processing in about 8 weeks. When it gets closer, I'll let you know.
I've never had bobwhites. I've heard they are a little more difficult to raise than the coturnix. They are more aggressive and more flighty. You can keep them in a colony but there's got to be lots of room. Typically, they are a 1:1 or 1:2 mating ratio. They don't lay year round either. Lights may extend it some. They take longer to mature also.

I started keeping them mainly for meat. 8 week turn around. About 3 lbs of feed per bird for that 8 weeks if you can limit the waste.
The eggs are a bonus. I eat some, sell a few and feed a lot of them back to the chickens.

I think I hatched out over 300 last year. This year I kept 36 breeders going into the winter. I've lost a few, but there's plenty tokeep the eggs coming for hatching.
How many of you will be coming?

I'm in Macon...so probably a little longer than it will take me. PM Roboduck for directions!
frow.gif

And if you want any cockerel chicks, just remember I'm here for you lol
Head count please, so you and who?

OMG Boudin! I was coming anyway, but I'll be there with bells on now! I'll bring tea, sweet/unsweet....how many gallons. ill also bring bottled water.
Head count please, so you and who?

Yeah, I'm supposed to be sticking to only cream legbars, silkies, and showgirls. Then I saw this raffle with these silver laced barnevelder bantams and I had to take a shot at them. I probably should hope I don't get them because my husband will probably give me a look if random eggs come in the mail. lol. Not to mention the two chicks I got to be company for my lonely turkey. I'm now not sure if they are roosters are not. I keep flip flopping. They are harder to tell than the other chickens I've had.
My DH (darling husband) saw the box and said your getting eggs in the mail now, it was funny.

Orchard Hill is selling CCL and Isbar chicks cheap right now. Here's an add of theirs that I found on craigslist just a few minutes ago (Click on the image to make it larger.):

Anyway, unless you have something that someone really wants, it is VERY tough to sell cockerels or roosters this time of year, and most straight-run chicks go for a song right now. I hope you find homes for your CCL and Isbar boys.

Since I lost two of my new Buff Orpingtons pullets to snake bites, and only have one girl left, I may pick up some more BO chicks. I see that someone on craigslist has BO pullets for $3 each. It's hard to beat that price.
I wonder if he would take my roos, lol trade for a hen, are you getting babies from there?

Back
Top Bottom