YO GEORGIANS! :)

Yes, Lisa called around and found a couple of ducks at Food Depot (your favorite grocery store! lol), and I used those. I was surprised how good the quality was. We found a couple of farms who sold ducks for meat, but they wanted something like $30 per duck. No thanks! I believe that we also checked Your Dekalb Farmers Market (I love that place!), but they were out of ducks at the time.

One of the farmers who had meat ducks for sale was selling Rouens, so that was another reason we didn't go that route. The authentic duck for Peking Duck is the Pekin, and if I'm going to pay that kind of money, I would want the real deal. I don't know anyone around here that sells those as meat birds, but if you find out about anyone who does, please let me know.

Yes, Lisa called around and found a couple of ducks at Food Depot (your favorite grocery store! lol), and I used those. I was surprised how good the quality was. We found a couple of farms who sold ducks for meat, but they wanted something like $30 per duck. No thanks! I believe that we also checked Your Dekalb Farmers Market (I love that place!), but they were out of ducks at the time.

One of the farmers who had meat ducks for sale was selling Rouens, so that was another reason we didn't go that route. The authentic duck for Peking Duck is the Pekin, and if I'm going to pay that kind of money, I would want the real deal. I don't know anyone around here that sells those as meat birds, but if you find out about anyone who does, please let me know.

Maple Leaf Farms raises Pekin ducks & they sell at publix and Kroger. They're very tasty! Of course someone here could just start raising them... I'd be a good customer!!

Maple Leaf Farms raises Pekin ducks & they sell at publix and Kroger. They're very tasty! Of course someone here could just start raising them... I'd be a good customer!!
I think most of the ducks that are shrink-wrapped and sold at grocery stores are Pekins, and I agree that it would be nice to have a source for farm-fresh Pekins. Of course, you could always go to the local public park with a pond; lure a large Pekin with a slice of bread; and, then snatch it when it got close enough. Okay, that was wrong. :lol:

I have 28 Muscovy hatching eggs in one of the incubators right now and set them ten days ago, so it's day nine, and I have yet to candle them. Need to do that tonight. We were reluctant to get any duck/Muscovy hatching eggs because the birds can be messy, but we took the plunge anyway.

On a more somber note, Lisa lost her Patridge Silkie boyfriend, Biff, sometime last night, so she was in tears this morning. He was Christopher's Silkie, so he wasn't happy about it either. This was one of those cases where a seemingly healthy, happy bird just drops dead for no apparent reason. He had a pen to himself, and was happy as a clam. When Lisa greeting him yesterday afternoon, as usual, he was so happy to see her; he dropped his wing and started hopping towards her sideways, doing his little happy dance. She found him lifeless in his pen this morning. This is the second favorite that she has lost in the past few months. :(

Has she started laying? Mine went broody after the first few eggs were laid. The showgirl went broody after she laid one egg. I added more eggs under her. Then went broody again 4 weeks after hatching the first batch. My silky is currently molting (and now ill) so no broodiness from her since the first time.
oh yes she lays but just I guess figured out the cons of mother hood, lol

On a more somber note, Lisa lost her Patridge Silkie boyfriend, Biff, sometime last night, so she was in tears this morning. He was Christopher's Silkie, so he wasn't happy about it either. This was one of those cases where a seemingly healthy, happy bird just drops dead for no apparent reason. He had a pen to himself, and was happy as a clam. When Lisa greeting him yesterday afternoon, as usual, he was so happy to see her; he dropped his wing and started hopping towards her sideways, doing his little happy dance. She found him lifeless in his pen this morning. This is the second favorite that she has lost in the past few months. :(
:hugsto Lisa and Chris

Back
Top Bottom