YO GEORGIANS! :)

Went to the property showing today, and it is an awesome property! We definitely want it! Should know by Thursday if we got it, but we could know as early as tomorrow. I'll provide more details if we get it.

Does this property have a house on it or is it just property? How many acres? What are you liking about it?

Went to the property showing today, and it is an awesome property! We definitely want it! Should know by Thursday if we got it, but we could know as early as tomorrow. I'll provide more details if we get it.

Does this property have a house on it or is it just property? How many acres? What are you liking about it?

Hatch Update: 8 Jubilee Orps, No Reds, No Mottled.

There are so many things we love about this property! I wish I had photos because it's hard to accurately describe it in words. First, it is a lease. It's been in the owner's family for several generations, and he doesn't want to sell. We're fine with that. He lives in NYC, so he wants to make sure that whoever lives there will take good care of it.

It's a 50-acre estate that gently slopes toward and runs along the Tallapoosa River on its southern border. There are river birch and various hardwoods along that border and easy access for fishing/canoeing/kayaking. (We just sold our three kayaks last week! Ugh!) The property has a mix of hardwoods, open pasture, farmland, and some open bottomland along the river. The western part of the property has an organic farm and an orchard (apples, peaches, and pears).

On the western side there is a small home with a couple who takes care of the grounds. They do all the mowing! (It would take me three solid days to keep up with the mowing!) I would probably have to exchange our lawn tractor for a utility vehicle or heavy-duty golf cart just to get around.

On the eastern side of the property on the upper slope there's a vintage 100+-year-old, four-bedroom home that's nestled under large, mature oak and magnolia trees. That's where we would live. The home was just renovated with new wiring, new roof, new central A/C, modern light fixtures, and brand-new appliances, yet many of the vintage interior features were preserved such as the original oak floors, solid oak doors and framing, huge built-in open pantry (jelly cabinet), vintage doorknobs and locksets, etc. Lisa and I both love vintage homes, so this suits us just fine.

The living room and kitchen are both large, so this would be a great place to host a BYC picnic! The living room has a large bay window that faces and overlooks the bottomland and the river. It also overlooks a large clearing where I would probably plant a large garden and set up the pens, coops,and compost area. Lisa has been itching to raise bees, so she can do her thing there if she wants to do so. I have no problem building the hive boxes for her, but she'll be on her own when it comes to beekeeping. (I don't think they carry a beekeeping suit in my size anyway.)

The floor plan of the house is kind of quirky because what was once upon a time the front of the house is now the back; however, this also makes for a very nice feature in that the master bedroom is large and has a separate screened-in porch that's shaded and secluded by large magnolias. It makes for a very surreal atmosphere. It would be the perfect place to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or a late-afternoon ice tea. (If we get the place, I'm sure Lisa will also fill the porch area up with her succulents. :rolleyes:)

There is also an old barn on the property that is chock full of old lumber of which I can make use. It's a traditional, somewhat stately, weathered two-story barn with a hay loft and has been used for wedding photos and such in the past.

Another nice feature is that the property is accessed through a wrought-iron electronic security gate w/ keypad and video. It's kind of overkill for the property since it is in such a rural and safe location, but I'm not complaining.

There is so much more I could write; I could go on and on. We've prayed about it, and have just left it in God's hands at this point. If it's meant for us, we'll get it, and if it's not, that's fine too. I'll let you know when I have more news.

There are so many things we love about this property! I wish I had photos because it's hard to accurately describe it in words. First, it is a lease. It's been in the owner's family for several generations, and he doesn't want to sell. We're fine with that. He lives in NYC, so he wants to make sure that whoever lives there will take good care of it.

It's a 50-acre estate that gently slopes toward and runs along the Tallapoosa River on its southern border. There are river birch and various hardwoods along that border and easy access for fishing/canoeing/kayaking. (We just sold our three kayaks last week! Ugh!) The property has a mix of hardwoods, open pasture, farmland, and some open bottomland along the river. The western part of the property has an organic farm and an orchard (apples, peaches, and pears).

On the western side there is a small home with a couple who takes care of the grounds. They do all the mowing! (It would take me three solid days to keep up with the mowing!) I would probably have to exchange our lawn tractor for a utility vehicle or heavy-duty golf cart just to get around.

On the eastern side of the property on the upper slope there's a vintage 100+-year-old, four-bedroom home that's nestled under large, mature oak and magnolia trees. That's where we would live. The home was just renovated with new wiring, new roof, new central A/C, modern light fixtures, and brand-new appliances, yet many of the vintage interior features were preserved such as the original oak floors, solid oak doors and framing, huge built-in open pantry (jelly cabinet), vintage doorknobs and locksets, etc. Lisa and I both love vintage homes, so this suits us just fine.

The living room and kitchen are both large, so this would be a great place to host a BYC picnic! The living room has a large bay window that faces and overlooks the bottomland and the river. It also overlooks a large clearing where I would probably plant a large garden and set up the pens, coops,and compost area. Lisa has been itching to raise bees, so she can do her thing there if she wants to do so. I have no problem building the hive boxes for her, but she'll be on her own when it comes to beekeeping. (I don't think they carry a beekeeping suit in my size anyway.)

The floor plan of the house is kind of quirky because what was once upon a time the front of the house is now the back; however, this also makes for a very nice feature in that the master bedroom is large and has a separate screened-in porch that's shaded and secluded by large magnolias. It makes for a very surreal atmosphere. It would be the perfect place to enjoy a morning cup of coffee or a late-afternoon ice tea. (If we get the place, I'm sure Lisa will also fill the porch area up with her succulents. :rolleyes:)

There is also an old barn on the property that is chock full of old lumber of which I can make use. It's a traditional, somewhat stately, weathered two-story barn with a hay loft and has been used for wedding photos and such in the past.

Another nice feature is that the property is accessed through a wrought-iron electronic security gate w/ keypad and video. It's kind of overkill for the property since it is in such a rural and safe location, but I'm not complaining.

There is so much more I could write; I could go on and on. We've prayed about it, and have just left it in God's hands at this point. If it's meant for us, we'll get it, and if it's not, that's fine too. I'll let you know when I have more news.

Sounds somewhat like the property i grew up on...sounds amazing!!!

Check out the egg I got yesterday..
It's so tiny...but pretty...

Attachments

• 20170807_180732.jpg
    20170807_180732.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 4

Sounds great. Hope it works out for you.

I'm going to leave the eggs in an extra day, but 10 chicks may be the total. Aside from the Jubilees, not a great hatch. I put the onus on me since I allowed the temp to stay too low by 1.5ºF and since I allowed the hatchlings to kick the eggs about. Still though, very happy with the Jubees and the one Mottled Orp chick. Also, I may have to cull one chick since seems to be lame on one foot. Lisa's going to try to fix it, so we'll see.

Here's a B&W photo of seven of the chicks in their brooder. (Infrared light from the heat lamp was too bright and garish. That's why a B&W was posted.) Notice that one chicks has a chipmunk pattern. I don't know why, but I always like seeing that pattern when it appears.
upload_2017-8-8_19-15-45.png

Back
Top Bottom