YO GEORGIANS! :)

The incubating in my car experiment failed as the weather has worsened & winds blew the ridge cap off the coop roof. Nobody has power here & some roads are blocked. DH has taken some food & my bator to the rare friend with power. I'm so nervous to have my eggs out of my control but nothing can be done about it now. The roof on our boathouse is smashed from three fallen trees & things seem bleak. No word on when power will be restored.

The incubating in my car experiment failed as the weather has worsened & winds blew the ridge cap off the coop roof. Nobody has power here & some roads are blocked. DH has taken some food & my bator to the rare friend with power. I'm so nervous to have my eggs out of my control but nothing can be done about it now. The roof on our boathouse is smashed from three fallen trees & things seem bleak. No word on when power will be restored.
Sorry to hear about your boathouse and Bator. At.least your safe. :hugs Hopefully the worst is over. Praying your power will be back on soon.

Last edited:
The backside of my layer coop has collapsed due to wind and tree limbs. I did a head count and all seem to be ok. They are wet but fairing well. Formed a temporary back break with tarp to keep most of the wind down and half shelter. Can't do anything else till morning. Everyone stay safe.

I got work from my parents that they brought all my chickens into the garage because around their pen has so many dead tree around it.
I'm really upset that I can't help out but I'm so swamp in school right now that I wish everyone luck and good tides soon
My school is out Monday and Tuesday because of the storm. Which is lucky because my flight home was cancelled so I'm stuck in Boston until tomorrow. My husband is keeping the animals safe.

I'm glad you are safe! I worried about our new babies in the garage but apparently our new whole house generator is really whole house! Even the timer in the coop came on this morning! Everyone in our neighborhood has whole house generators. Just need them here in the mountains! We are about to go around the property to see if there is any damage.

The backside of my layer coop has collapsed due to wind and tree limbs. I did a head count and all seem to be ok. They are wet but fairing well. Formed a temporary back break with tarp to keep most of the wind down and half shelter. Can't do anything else till morning. Everyone stay safe.
My Trampoline converted chicken coop suffered some damage. Matthew took out the cover last time. The pine tree got the roof, some bamboo poles, and bent the frame. I can fix it. All my chickens survived Irma.
20170911_184501.jpg
20170911_181527.jpg
20170911_181521.jpg
20170911_181107.jpg
20170911_181035.jpg

My Trampoline converted chicken coop suffered some damage. Matthew took out the cover last time. The pine tree got the roof, some bamboo poles, and bent the frame. I can fix it. All my chickens survived Irma.View attachment 1135015 View attachment 1135016 View attachment 1135018 View attachment 1135019 View attachment 1135021
Glad your chickensand you survived this round. Looks like you have a mess on your hands I feel for you. Transported my chickens into large dog.pins then my husband said he left both his saws on the job site. So we will work on ours tomorrow.

Such a busy time with all the kids making their way back to school now. The chicks keep hatching and excited to see if the first of the white crested black polish eggs hatch on Thursday. Survived the NPIP process--actually the vet could not have been nicer. He is really far more interested in quail than chickens, but pleasantly did his job. Meeting with him you get the distinct impression that the state and others' representations of the program create a lot of misinformation and trepidation about getting the testing. My little flock of misfit birds is now certified and all the golden laced have gone away to grow out. Now the little bunch of white polish are getting bigger and the silkies have moved on from the mothering phase and into the general population. At this point there are birds everywhere---in the big coop, hoop coop and on the porch in the brooder box. Ended up with 6 Isabel, 1 Black, 1 Blue, 1 Mottled and 1 Jubilee Orpington. They are for sure my little girl's domain since she seems to have taken over the role of chief chick-raiser. Looking forward to getting some more eggs to hatch soon---it's just too enjoyable to stop!!
D.gif

Hi all, thankfully we had no damage from Irma, actually we didn't even lose power. 2 trees down, thankfully they didn't hit the coop. All my girls weathered it really well. Only had 3 leaks in the new coop, those get repaired this week. I brought my special needs girls inside, as well as the 2 chicks. Hope y'all who sustained damage bounce back quickly...and glad y'all are ok.

Back
Top Bottom