YO GEORGIANS! :)

Jack, if you could spare a couple dozen duck eggs, that would be great. Please let me know how much you want for them. Last year Christopher and I made mooncakes for the Mid-Autumn (Moon) Festival, and they came out great. We used aged salted chicken eggs for the centers of the mooncakes. With all of our recent moving back and forth, we were too late to plan or do anything in time for this year's festival, but we had a lot of fun with last year's project, so we wanted to do it again with duck eggs this time. Here's a few pictures from last year:
View attachment 1148928
Salted chicken eggs

View attachment 1148931
This is what the yolks look like after 30 days. They taste great!

View attachment 1148933
The yolks were covered with a filling, then covered with a pastry, and then molded into balls. We then used a mold to press the mooncakes into shape.

View attachment 1148936
Freshly-pressed mooncakes

View attachment 1148937
Freshly baked mooncakes

View attachment 1148938
We made our own fillings from adzuki beans, green mung beans, and lotus seeds. My favorite was the filling made from lotus seeds.
Mooncakes sound so cool.

Slight delay on the duck Coop. Had to finish the lawnmower first.
IMG_20171001_125331.jpg
IMG_20171001_125159.jpg

So ever since I got my digital scale, I've been obsessed with weighing my eggs. I now sell them in small, 43-49.99 grams, medium, 50-56.99 grams, and (large, 57- 63.99, extra large, 64-70.99 grams, jumbo, over 71 grams) cartons. Well, someone is laying huge double yokers. One was 91.34 grams and the other was 93.58 grams. Then, I got a huge duck egg.... over 101 grams! Ouch!!!

Jack, wish you lived closer! I would love to learn all the processing methods of the chickens, quail and rabbits. You must have more than one freezer, that's for sure! LOL

Mooncakes sound so cool.
They are pretty cool. I bet your kids would love making them. They take a little more effort to make than a lot of pastries, but the end result is worth it.

I ended up getting 4 dozen duck eggs from Jack today, so into the brine they go tomorrow. Come the first week of November, the duck eggs will be ready to use.

You see the problem is that I'm only 15 I am young with a passion for chickens and my mother would not be so willingly to drive me to get some chickens for that far. I cant wait till I get my drivers license. That's the only problem I have.

Are you in 4H? If not, and even if your parents won't let you join, you should check out their web site. Also the UGA extension service. Lots of good information on their web sites and even if you don't get chickens right now, you'll be better prepared when you do. Also, with 4H, you might have an opportunity to work with/around someone else's chickens. Oh yeah, FFA is good too if you have that in your school. You might join that.

Now with my "parenting hat" on.... last thing a new driver AKA a 16 year old needs to be doing is driving around in Atlanta traffic with a load of chickens in the car. You could probably get some good snapchat photos of the chickens while you're driving...... Good way to get killed if you ask me. Or kill someone else. I bet you can work it out with your Mom to get you some chickens unless she's just totally against it. Just be patient..... keep participating here and someone, somewhere will help you get some chickens sooner or later. I live down in LaGrange and I only have 6 chickens which are nearing the end of their laying life, or I'd help you. Keep an eye on Craigslist too. People are always giving away free chickens and even if they're not the kind/type you want, they could still be worth keeping to learn how to take care of chickens. You might find out they're too much trouble and get over the "bug". :) Then you could in turn give them to someone else, or you could eat them if that's your thing. Hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom