YO GEORGIANS! :)

We are on 'Goat watch" today. Our dwarf goat in due to deliver, but she doesn't seem to be in any type of labor yet. She is actually part Toggenburg, part pygmy, so she could go another day or two! Our Nigerian Dwarf is due April 2nd, but she looks more ready than the one due today! So exciting!

Help! First time I’ve every seen an Eagle in my yard and it was chewing on one of my ducks! We scared it off and the duck went to take cover. It is still alive, but badly chewed on! I’ve got her in a box. What kind of disinfectant can I use that won’t sting her to death! Not sure I can save her! Any advice!

I just covered wounds (massive) with pain/medicated neosporin. Lightly covered with gauze and pet wrapped. All I can do is keep the duck warm. /there is just so much missing over so much of her body, I don't see how she can survive.....but I will try! :hit:hit

The duck just died.. I didn't think she could survive! Now we will have to keep the ducks in for a while. Bummer! I do have duck eggs to hatch. They are actually going in the incubator on Sunday. I ordered that new duck turner and it should be here on Thursday.. So at least her legacy will live on!

The duck just died.. I didn't think she could survive! Now we will have to keep the ducks in for a while. Bummer! I do have duck eggs to hatch. They are actually going in the incubator on Sunday. I ordered that new duck turner and it should be here on Thursday.. So at least her legacy will live on!
Sorry to hear this.
Did you order the Incuview Turner? You may have to trim it a little and kinda force it onto the sytrofoam edge. Make sure the wire insert in the bottom of your incubator is turned so that the turner slides on the wires. It moves really slow, so put something on it to test it.
FWIW, I've read not to use the pain killer neosporins, just use the regular type. Masking the pain is not good for the birds. But you do what you have to do. Hope you're able to hatch some good replacements.

So, I went to walk the goats so I could observe them. My pug went with us down to the mailbox. First, no signs of labor yet....don't think it will be today.
Next, we walked down to the lake so the goats could find some greens.....the eagle came across the lake and actually circled above us! I'm thinking it had eyes on my pug! Now I have to worry about him, the cats, the ducks, and the chickens, too! And as I think about it, we lost a duck about a month ago to a predator! It was during the day and not that far from the lake....now I'm thinking it was this eagle! So now what!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear this. I have had a lot of predator problems, so I know how you feel. I don't know any way to prevent eagles from attacking ducks. I prefer to eliminate predators, but an eagle... That's a new one for me. Other than keeping them put up, there's probably not much that could be done. I guess this is the price that we have to pay for living in this "Mountainous Garden Of Eden". Good luck with the Goat birthin'.

Back
Top Bottom