YO GEORGIANS! :)

I just left Ellijay GA TSC, and they had Cream Legbar chicks. They were priced as straight run. They didn't have a lot, but they are only $1.99! There were only a few pullets left. They may have them at some of the other TSCs in the area.

I wanna tell a story about a Bantam Cochin named Dixie (or normally called peeps)

Peeps is the best little hen Iv never met. She just walks into the house like she owns the place. When I got her a year ago, We has kept her inside for safety reasons (she was tiny) and she learned to love the house. We did move her outside but she always enjoy coming inside. When we took our hens on a walk she would book it to the door and wait for my mom to open it. She just walks around the living room beating mail opened and looking for blueberries. When I want home for winter break, peeps would fly up onto the chair and eat corn bread from my hand. She also scare my cat. She still tiny so it’s funny when my big cat gets scared away by a tiny black fluff ball.

BTW she not dead... she just so awesome.

Attachments

• 3B42B9A9-E58A-4E9E-99CF-D04312C263FC.jpeg
    3B42B9A9-E58A-4E9E-99CF-D04312C263FC.jpeg
    489.3 KB · Views: 6
IMG_20180407_103534527.jpg

These are Blues new batch of chicks. I gave him several Sizzles and one Satin. Out of 10 eggs 8 hatched. Only one brownish chick has 4 toes instead of 5. They look like blue, black, blue splash and partridge. One may be a paint. It will be interesting to see how that feather out.

C
That's a great little set-up. Where did you get that idea?

There's a thread on here about Mama Heating Pad. It's pretty extensive with a lot of pictures. Also Birdinhand has a great thread about the Trials and Tribulations of Raising Meat Birds or something like that and he has a good write-up on his. It's definitely not MY idea. :) I don't have the current draw for it.... just looked at the box and didn't see anything. Maybe it's printed on the pad, I don't know. I guess I'm just repeating what "they say". :) Anyway, it's working out pretty good and the chicks seem to like having a place to go in and out of.

I saw where it said energy efficient, but didn't see the electrical specs anywhere. Have you put a thermometer in there to see what the temp is? I LIKE IT!:thumbsup

Oh btw, no, I haven't put a thermometer in there. The pad I'm using maxes out at 108 degrees and it's not a "space heater", it says it only raises the ambient room temperature about 10-15 degrees. But by having it enclosed like that and dropping it down low enough the chicks can touch their backs to it, it kinda simulates mama. You might ask in that main thread if people are using it in outdoor cold temperatures. I do seem to remember some folks like that using it. I think the whole idea is raising the chicks with cooler temps and getting them to feather out faster like in a more natural environment and not baking them like a rotisserie with a heat lamp. :) I'll post a link back to the thread in a second.

Back
Top Bottom