YO GEORGIANS! :)

Oh my! That's a long time to wait! Well, these game hens are 100% free range, so finding their eggs is not going to be easy! :) My penned flock won't start laying for at least another 4-6 weeks.

getting plans together to build my coop/run hardware cloth is way more expenseive then chicken wire...so i'm doing chicken wire 16x16x6 ft pen. and considering leaving an open top. coop is 8x8 and will attach tot he run and considering leaving the 8x8 bottom open for extra space and putting chicken wire around the outside edge...what could i put on top that is not so expensive should i end up needing it? or should i just goahead and stretch chicken wire over the top?

getting plans together to build my coop/run hardware cloth is way more expenseive then chicken wire...so i'm doing chicken wire 16x16x6 ft pen. and considering leaving an open top. coop is 8x8 and will attach tot he run and considering leaving the 8x8 bottom open for extra space and putting chicken wire around the outside edge...what could i put on top that is not so expensive should i end up needing it? or should i just goahead and stretch chicken wire over the top?

I used chicken wire for my roof-top. I felt that I needed a top, but others have told me they didn't think it was necessary. Maybe I'm just over-protective
hmm.png

I used a smaller chicken wire for the bottom half of my pen, while the top half & the actual roof is a larger chicken wire (bigger holes). Not sure if the larger wire is actually cheaper or not, but that's what I had available to use when I built my pen.

i have a tarp covering half my top and the other chicken wire. You have to make sure the tarp cant collect water. I have alot of flying predators where I live, I often see them perched on top of the pens when I go outside, all of my pens are covered and I dont have any freerangers. I tried, but they get picked off after a few days :(

Oh my! That's a long time to wait! Well, these game hens are 100% free range, so finding their eggs is not going to be easy! :) My penned flock won't start laying for at least another 4-6 weeks.
I agree, but I'm starting my flock out from scratch with chicks so its the waiting game for me for a while.

Unfortunately I may have to move on short notice, if this happens I will not be able to keep my girls. I have six hatchery pullets two each RIR, BR, and EEs, if I have to move I will sell them to anyone interested. If I dont sell em I will eat em. They are 3 months old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom