YO GEORGIANS! :)

Also question i just got a beagle puppy and we are going to train it to track rabbits im worried about my chickens when the pup get old any suggestions to keep all my babies safe and happy this is here ( thinking about letting her have a litter when she old enough cause of her rare coloring :) )

Hi folks! I'm in SC but right by savannah. I was lurking around this forum to see what was going on in GA. When I saw these watering systems, I had to say hi. I love them! I just ordered nipples and am gathering other supplies. Can't wait to give it a try when my new babies arrive!

Welcome and enjoy. I love this watering system. It's worked great for me.

Thanks to Jharper for pushing me to the right thread!

repost:

Hi, I am from SE Georgia. I am looking to get into raising a few hens for eggs and general fun/homesteading/trying my hand at livestock. I am looking for a couple of hens, preferably pullets, to start. In my perfect world, I would be able to buy one black australorp pullet and one barred rock pullet, however, I am practical and would consider any breed pullet that anyone in the vicinity of Savannah (less than 100 miles) has available for sale.

Or, if anyone could give me some regional sales advice, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks to Jharper for pushing me to the right thread!

[COLOR=454434]repost:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454434]Hi, I am from SE Georgia.  I am looking to get into raising a few hens for eggs and general fun/homesteading/trying my hand at livestock.  I am looking for a couple of hens, preferably pullets, to start.  In my perfect world, I would be able to buy one black australorp pullet and one barred rock pullet, however, I am practical and would consider any breed pullet that anyone in the vicinity of Savannah (less than 100 miles) has available for sale. [/COLOR][COLOR=454434]
[/COLOR][COLOR=454434]
[/COLOR][COLOR=454434]Or, if anyone could give me some regional sales advice, that would also be appreciated.[/COLOR]

Haha welcome! And glad ta have ya here!

My new chicks have arrived! A Welsummer, RIR, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Barnevelder, Specked Sussex, Salmon Faverolle and a Black Australorp! All Females! Will send photo later. These chicks join my own hatch from a week ago! And our daughter talked us into keeping our four new runner ducks....at least until we know what sex they are. Yea for babies!

My new chicks have arrived! A Welsummer, RIR, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Barnevelder, Specked Sussex, Salmon Faverolle and a Black Australorp! All Females! Will send photo later. These chicks join my own hatch from a week ago! And our daughter talked us into keeping our four new runner ducks....at least until we know what sex they are. Yea for babies!
Congrats, I hope you enjoy your new babies :)

Ok, I have to tell you about this one egg. I had a pullet who was not laying eggs yet. BUT, the rooster visited her once or twice....I saw him. And I thought she must really be ready to lay eggs since he was interested in her. Anyway, we rehomed our rooster because he kept jumping on our small dogs. Well, I had a hen go broody and was gathering eggs for her to sit on and low and behold that pullet laid her first egg about 3 days after we got rid of the rooster. I know you aren't suppose to use pullet eggs, but this one was a frizzle and I no longer had a rooster, so I put that egg under my broody with 8 other eggs. The broody was young and did a horrible job. She kept leaving her eggs to go sit on one that had just been laid in other nests> So after 10 days, I candled those eggs. They were all dead but 2. I put them in my bator with other eggs already on day 15. So after my hatch, I left these 2 eggs in there to see if they would hatch. They went thru huge ups and downs in humidity and temperature as the other eggs hatched. So I was really surprised when 5 days after the first eggs hatched, we had a new chick in there!~ So that left the one egg....the one from the pullet I was telling you about. By this time, dangerous bacteria was growing in the bator....so not thinking that one egg would hatch, I put it under another hen who had just gone broody. Well, 2 days later, it hatched! But, this morning, I went out to check on it and the broody had pushed the chick into the corner and it was extremely cold...was like 60 degrees this morning! Well, I rushed it to the brooder and got it warm. It is alive, but its neck is funny. Don't know if it was born with a crooked neck and that is why the broody pushed it out or whether being so cold did it. She is not a crested chick, so don't know why she has a crooked neck. Could she just have a "creek" in her neck? Does anyone know if there is anything I can do for her?

Ok, I have to tell you about this one egg. I had a pullet who was not laying eggs yet. BUT, the rooster visited her once or twice....I saw him. And I thought she must really be ready to lay eggs since he was interested in her. Anyway, we rehomed our rooster because he kept jumping on our small dogs. Well, I had a hen go broody and was gathering eggs for her to sit on and low and behold that pullet laid her first egg about 3 days after we got rid of the rooster. I know you aren't suppose to use pullet eggs, but this one was a frizzle and I no longer had a rooster, so I put that egg under my broody with 8 other eggs. The broody was young and did a horrible job. She kept leaving her eggs to go sit on one that had just been laid in other nests> So after 10 days, I candled those eggs. They were all dead but 2. I put them in my bator with other eggs already on day 15. So after my hatch, I left these 2 eggs in there to see if they would hatch. They went thru huge ups and downs in humidity and temperature as the other eggs hatched. So I was really surprised when 5 days after the first eggs hatched, we had a new chick in there!~ So that left the one egg....the one from the pullet I was telling you about. By this time, dangerous bacteria was growing in the bator....so not thinking that one egg would hatch, I put it under another hen who had just gone broody. Well, 2 days later, it hatched! But, this morning, I went out to check on it and the broody had pushed the chick into the corner and it was extremely cold...was like 60 degrees this morning! Well, I rushed it to the brooder and got it warm. It is alive, but its neck is funny. Don't know if it was born with a crooked neck and that is why the broody pushed it out or whether being so cold did it. She is not a crested chick, so don't know why she has a crooked neck. Could she just have a "creek" in her neck? Does anyone know if there is anything I can do for her?
Too inexperienced to offer advice in this, but I'll be hoping for the best.

Okay I'm officially impatient. Instead of getting my silkies in the spring when the new coop is finished and all the orpigntons are ordered as well I wanna go ahead and get one or two. Anyone know a silliest breeder near the Jasper/Canton area? Preferably with chicks around the 1 week old mark?
Once again I am going to refer someone from this board to TC Country, right off hwy 20 past Kroger. She ordered silkies for me. She gets a shipment a week.

Back
Top Bottom