YO GEORGIANS! :)

At what age did everyones roo (RIR) crow stop getting louder? I thought he wouldn't get any louder, wonder what my neighbors are going to say
lol.png
(we live in a subdivson with no zoning restrictions

So, I am excited about starting a fodder system. I was thinking about trying to 'extent' the system by putting a chunk of fodder under a block with wire on top so that the chickens eat off the top but can't get to the roots. I don't know if the seed mass would ruin or not. I tried this with some grass sod. Here is a photo of the chickens just eating to tops of the grass. Any ideas on this?

So, I am excited about starting a fodder system. I was thinking about trying to 'extent' the system by putting a chunk of fodder under a block with wire on top so that the chickens eat off the top but can't get to the roots. I don't know if the seed mass would ruin or not. I tried this with some grass sod. Here is a photo of the chickens just eating to tops of the grass. Any ideas on this?
I do believe the root mass would eventually mold, because it is something you have to keep wet. Plus, the roots and unsprouted seeds are great nutrition for them! Just chunk out sections to your ladies and gents and watch them gobble it up!

Yea, I was worried about that. Just thought to extend it a day or so. But what about this grass sod? Here is a befor and after photo of the sod. The chickens could only eat the top.

Looks like a lawn mover got it.

@stinkysneakers use the "Quote" button when you reply, it's at the bottom right of each post, it helps people figure out who you're talking to. Also the "Multi" button if you're replying to multiple posts. Just hit "Multi" on each post you want to reply to, then hit "Reply".

Bargain is the Garry Farm in Bowdon, GA. I've bought hatching eggs from her that I picked up at the Carrolton Farmer's Market, nice family.
I thought that's what I had done, but the mobile version of BYC is kinda hard to figure out. I'll check them out. Thank you!

Yea, I was worried about that. Just thought to extend it a day or so. But what about this grass sod? Here is a befor and after photo of the sod. The chickens could only eat the top.

Looks like a lawn mover got it.

You have to be careful with grass seed because most of it is treated with chemicals. As far as keeping your root mat from molding spritz with water mixed with a little hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide kills off mold, fungus gnats, and from the info I have found is safe(they do recommend rinsing before feeding still but is also safe on tomatoes, fruit and roses and treats the fungus and diseases that those can get). I have been using hydrogen peroxide in my sprouting and went from barely having almost 4inches of sprout to close to 6" of fodder. I don't let mine grow past day 7 though cause I pull the whole mess out and feed it to them, they tear it all apart and eat it all!

The bad part is that even if I did put it under a hardware cloth screen to let it grow I think they would pull it all through the screen because I don't use dirt....

Back
Top Bottom