YO GEORGIANS! :)

Wow. I am feeling overwhelmed today! Got my house torn apart doing winter clothes/summer clothes exchange, changing regular sheets for flannel, got my storage room torn apart trying to reorganize supplies for the lodge and the renters get here at noon! I also need to move my fodder from outside to inside (snow expected here tomorrow!) and put up the plastic sheeting on the side of the chicken run. Also need to finish cleaning the refrigerator as the last group had a wedding with 90 people and went home in a small car and left the whole thing packed! That's good for me, my neighbors, my dogs and chickens, but it takes a lot of time to move the stuff and then clean the refrid. Then, my husband just asked me to find all his long insulated underwear! Ugh! Let me finish my latte and then I will forge ahead like the strong mountain woman that I am!!! LOL! It's a good thing women are so good at doing a hundred things at once!

Well I built a cooler incubator but can't get the temp to come down. I was using a 60 watt bulb and it was up to 116, used a 40 watt bulb and got 111, now I'm using a 25 watt bulb and am at 104, I have a bunch of holes and my humidity is in the low 30s. I currently have a mini loaf pan with 1 sponge with some water in there.

Suggestions?

Use Christmas lights. Need more heat. Add a build or two. Need less. Subtract a few. Can get away with a lot less holes. That will keep your humidity up. Good luck. I have done it with a cheap cooler set up. I have also failed this way too

Last edited:
Is the fan inside the cooler or is that the fan attached to the top back right corner. Sorry just trying to get an idea of where everything is located in the cooler. I do see the pan with sponge and the temp gauge. 

On the top in the back corner is the light, to the left of that is the fan. So they are basically right next to each other. The fan is mostly in an opening in the top( I had a bulb move before it was secure and melted the styrofoam, it just happened to be the right size for the fan. Haha

On the top in the back corner is the light, to the left of that is the fan. So they are basically right next to each other. The fan is mostly in an opening in the top( I had a bulb move before it was secure and melted the styrofoam, it just happened to be the right size for the fan. Haha

What if you cover the back of the fan so that it is just moving air inside the cooler not pulling outside air in? Maybe put a plastic bowl over it? Just trying to help. I know the fan in the bators you buy have the fan inside.

So I went ahead and put the fan inside and sealed up the hole on top. Humidity has gone up, but so has the temp. Now I am opening up the little vent holes to see if I can get the temp down. I have most of today to play around with it, so fingers crossed.

I'm thinking about getting a thermostat today, but not sure how to connect it. I'm not much of an electrician, but if I can wire a fan to a plug, I'm sure I can connect a thermostat...

So this is what it looks like now. Temp/humidity is low because I attached styrofoam to the back of the fan and for now taped the fan against the back. If this works, then I'll hot glue it to the back wall. Is the fan location ok? Or should it be moved?

Oh my GODDD, WHEN does this freaking MOLT end!?!? I'm getting a max of one egg a day out of six definite laying hens and one Marans who is FAR past POL but has never laid to my knowledge. And that one egg I do get (usually from black star) has a paper-thin shell.

I am so SICK of this! Pay rent already!! I'm giving extra calcium as much as I can and letting them free range. Does this mean I'll be buying eggs this winter!? Or will they start back? Please tell your experience, I've never been through a molt before and I'm fed up. LOL!

Oh my GODDD, WHEN does this freaking MOLT end!?!? I'm getting a max of one egg a day out of six definite laying hens and one Marans who is FAR past POL but has never laid to my knowledge. And that one egg I do get (usually from black star) has a paper-thin shell.

I am so SICK of this! Pay rent already!! I'm giving extra calcium as much as I can and letting them free range. Does this mean I'll be buying eggs this winter!? Or will they start back? Please tell your experience, I've never been through a molt before and I'm fed up. LOL!

I'm pretty sure mine are done with their molt but I've been getting 0 eggs. I think the days are just too short now and they've quit for the winter. I have a light in the coop that I could adjust to give them at least 14 hours of light, I might gradually start pushing their bedtime back, haha.

Back
Top Bottom