YO GEORGIANS! :)

Hey guys! Okay, I'm really going to make the effort to post more often. Here's a run down of what's been going on.
We finally closed on the new place, 3 br, 2 bath, 5 acres with a 3/4 acre pond.
in the meantime, my son's demon dog and my (idiot new) neighbor's dog have managed to kill all of my turkeys and almost all of my hens. However, all 9 roosters have managed to survive. What the crap. So, I'm having to pretty much start over. Kind of unhappy with that.

Glad to hear you have a nice place. Sounds like a perfect place! Sad about the chickens/turkeys. What are you going to do about the dogs? Do you have a new enclosure for your chickens? I would feel the same way about the hens. Why does it have to be the 'useful' hens that get killed? And 9 roosters! Ugh! The only good thing about all this is that you can look forward to getting some new fluffy chicks this spring! If you want to come visit up here, I am hoping to hatch some chicks and I usually need to find homes for most of them. If you would take some mixed chicks, I could hatch chicks just for you! FREE! I just love hatching eggs! I have about 20 true breed hens, but only one rooster (a Swedish Flower) so all the chicks would be mixes except for the ones from the SFH hens. They would be true. I have lots of different colored eggs, so you would probably get some of those, too. Let me know!

Good question. This place has been totally dead lately. The new people are going to give up and go away if things don't pick up soon.

then it's a good thing I'm back, since I'm highly entertaining. What's new and exciting?

Oh don't come here looking for free updates. You'll just have to go back a couple hundred pages and get caught up. But do it the easy way and just skip through and read my posts because clearly mine are the only ones that are interesting. I'm not sayin....Just sayin....

My first 3 chicks are looking more and more like cockerels every day. I went to a different breeder last weekend and picked up 2 sexed almost-guaranteed girls. Still trying to decide how long I want to keep the boys. I guess until they either lay or crow? :lol

In any case, I'm seeing a big difference in temperament between the two batches, idk if it's due to breed or sex or just plain skill of the breeders. But the girls are 1000x more friendly than the boys. The little EE loves to get out of the box and find me and burrow in my hair, and her friend the BSL will cry until I go get her so she can join in. The boys still act like the sky is falling every time I pull out their feeder to refill it.

Also, the boys eat A LOT. So much that I thought the girls mist be sick when I first got them, because they weren't eating 24/7. I guess that's due to the boys being Brahmas and Marans.

So that's what's been happening here.

Last edited:
My first 3 chicks are looking more and more like cockerels every day. I went to a different breeder last weekend and picked up 2 sexed almost-guaranteed girls. Still trying to decide how long I want to keep the boys. I guess until they either lay or crow? :lol

In any case, I'm seeing a big difference in temperament between the two batches, idk if it's due to breed or sex or just plain skill of the breeders. But the girls are 1000x more friendly than the boys. The little EE loves to get out of the box and find me and burrow in my hair, and her friend the BSL will cry until I go get her so she can join in. The boys still act like the sky is falling every time I pull out their feeder to refill it.

Also, the boys eat A LOT. So much that I thought the girls mist be sick when I first got them, because they weren't eating 24/7. I guess that's due to the boys being Brahmas and Marans.

So that's what's been happening here.
Send photos of chicks!

Here is the little cockrel I need to find a home for. Little Olive Egger about 2 1/2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom